SpiderMonkey

"Bill Gates' vision for the future of gaming"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25524

Bill Gates has revealed that his vision for the future of gaming involves a new control system where players swing a bat or racket as they would in real life - but said it won't be the same as the Wii.

Someone remind me when Bill Gates became a games designer, and when his vision became in any way relevant, let alone worthy of being the top story on the main industry news site?

er... what?!

so.. it's like real life, but not like the real life that the wii imitates?

anyway... my vision of the future of gaming is much like the online game they were playing in Futurama, the "A Bicyclops Built for Two" episode.

then again, nothing beats sitting in a comfy chair playing a nice game

His real quote says nothing about a "vision for the future of gaming", he seems to be talking more about intuitive natural interfaces using intelligent cameras.

He's talking about being able to pick up a real object and have the computer recognise what you're holding and allow you to use it as you would expect for control. Games was a very logical example of its application.

The story is basically removing context and adding hyperbole, bravo gi.biz

He's talking about being able to pick up a real object and have the computer recognise what you're holding and allow you to use it as you would expect for control.

Natural evolution of the recently-revealed Surface technology, which is able to recognise objects placed upon it via each object's unique "tag" (barcode). Or, with the "digital painting" example Microsoft showed, the unique characteristics of the contact being made (i.e. an artist's brush).

For Gate's "real space" example all you'd need is a nominal number of cameras (3?) to track elevation, distance, etc. Connect those to a PC, which is equipped with a broadband connection and an RFID scanner. And, seeing as pretty much everything is going to have a unique RFID chip embedded in it before long, all the computer needs to do is query some international product RFID database and it'll know everything about what you've just picked up.

You could probably do all this right now to be honest. Just have the operator wear some funky RFID-enabled wristbands, slap some little RFID stickers on your favourite sports equipment, bind those to the controller PC and off you go.

I'm just surprised - not to mention a little disgusted - at GI.biz basically "doing a CVG" with this, though. Sensationalist trash ftw! :frusty:

I love how the usual biog gaming blog suspects jumped on this in their usual infuriating way.

These sites can have some interesting stuff, but my lord does the way they excitedly present any article where there's the slightest opportunity for a bit of mockery fuck me off. :tdown:

These sites can have some interesting stuff, but my lord does the way they excitedly present any article where there's the slightest opportunity for a bit of mockery fuck me off. :tdown:

YES! It winds me up so much. Never mind personal blogs, though, there's so much hyped nonsense in even professional journalism. If it includes Microsoft you can usually double the amount of hyped-nonsense, too.

Man. Where the hell did 'biog' come from in my above post? :fart:

I took it to mean someone who writes their blog using their own life frequently for examples. Like when Crescente at Kotaku used his son to asses each of the current-gen systems' controllers. Terms like "blography" and "autoblography" come next, although it fits better syllable-wise if you say "autoblogography," it also looks dumb. I'm torn on which to use.

EDIT: A large contributor to this post was the fact that I only slept for an hour last night. Feel free to ignore me.