ysbreker

Oahu! Fast Cars! Complete Freemdom!

a_med_smoking.jpga_med_bus.jpga_med_honk.jpg

The title says it all really, Test drive unlimited is a racing game unlike many out there. It's basically a sort of grand theft auto sans the car-jackings and wanton violence. Plus a healthy dose of online multiplayer goodness thrown in for good measure.

Remember how you sometimes just wanted to cruise around Vice City/San Andreas/Liberty City but couldn't because before you knew it you got the entire army chasing you just because you took that one wrong turn and ran over that group of rival gang members, accidentally hit that cop car on your way out and blew up some other cars in the process?

Well now you can. Test drive unlimited is a game set on a virtual one on one scale model of Oahu Hawaii. You get to explore the entire island at your own leisure using the latest and greatest the automotive industry has to offer today.

There are plenty of challenges and missions dotted around the island for you to race around in. With those races you can win cash to buy new houses cars and motorbikes. With most of the missions you can earn clothing coupons you can spend in the various stores dotted around the island to buy new clothes. So you can play dress up with your driver. Because a Brown T-shirt does not look cool with that classy British racing green Jaguar XKR you happen to cruising around in.

But the real unique selling point of this game is the MMO aspect of the game.

As you drive around the island you can come across other players and by flashing you headlights at them you can engage them in a quick one on one race using the actual island map to set out a impromptu race. I haven't had the chance yet to try out the online part of the game yet but from what I read about it it should be pretty neat.

There are some flaws in this game tho. The motorbikes feel rather tacked on and not really worked out as well as the cars. And despite having a pretty beefy PC I sometimes get some strange slowdowns and every now and then A nasty case of the pop-ups. Sometimes you're driving so fast that the oncoming traffic pops up rather late.

But I still heartily recommend this game to all of Idle Thumbs!

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: out of 5

Now I'm of to cruise around in my $650.000 Ferrari Enzo. See you at Honolulu!

What the Hell, I'll buy it. It's been ages since I played a racing game, and I have to use this computer for something. So, is there a friend code system or what?

[Rating pending] out of 5

I've never played this game, but while doing some generic hardware research a while ago I saw some people saying that changing the conformant texture clamp in the Nvidia drivers settings can fix a stuttering issue that commonly affects players of this game. No idea if stuttering would describe your problem, though. Or if you even have an Nvidia card.

That aside though, this game does look really nice and also sounds fun. Considering I haven't played a PC racing game in fucking years I think I might have to get it.

Edit: While on the subject, are there any other particularly noteworthy PC racers coming out soon? And how many people does Test Drive Unlimited actually have online in the MP mode? Usually.

I tried the demo out when it was first on Live Arcade and it seemed like a pretty fun little game. I enjoyed what I played of it but wasn't really prompted to blow the required funds. Maybe I'll have to look into it again. It would be on 360 for me though. Something about racing on a PC just never seemed right to me.

I got it today, and the first thing I want to point out is that installers that play music can fuck off. Vista, however, lets me adjust the volume for all running programs separately, so I could just mute it and continue listening to real music.

Anyway, I installed it, and although all the character stuff in the intro was a bit weird, the little driving I did was awesome. Standing by the road, waiting to pull out into traffic was totally awesome. The only thing I missed was an easy (easier than dragging the mouse)way of looking left and right.

Another thing I missed was the ability to adjust the gas, so I ordered one of those sets with a steering wheel, a stick and pedals, so when I get that I'll be back on the road.

Also I read something about a patch coming in May which corrected, among other things, something about corrupted saves. Already corrupted saves would not be fixed. Does this mean I should wait until the patch is released before investing my hard-earned time?

I got my new steering wheel set thingie up and running today. Driving with it is completely awesome. Keyboard driving can kiss my ass. Now, to complete my thesis so the wheel can be permanently mounted in front of my monitor.

I read many of the previews for TDU and got quite excited about it. Unfortunately the end reviews kind of deflated my enthusiasm for the game - especially as a major novelty factor is the online stuff, which I'm not hugely fussed about at the moment.

I think I'll give it a miss until it comes out on budget release for 360, and I've renewed my Live Gold subscription.

It's good to read a "real-world" review though, especially now that the game's been around for a while.

I'm currently not into the online stuff. I tried it once, but everyone had Ferraris and left me in the dust, so I went back to the single player. Playing it with a wheel makes all the difference for me, as driving is so fun I never use the ability to "teleport" to a new race. Instead I mark it off on my GPS and drive there. Cruising on the freeway is really cool. The island feels huge! And the races and challenges are easy enough (for now) to master in a few goes, and retrying is quick and painless.

I still feel like I haven't quite figured it out yet. Currently I'm just doing races and challenges around the island. I don't know if I "unlock" more of them as I go, or what. Anyway, great game if you have a steering wheel controller.

And even without a steering wheel it's loads of fun cruising around the island. When I first started I decided to do a round trip around the island. It took me some 3 hours. OK I did some challenges on the way. But I was having fun just cruising around.

I don't know if I "unlock" more of them as I go, or what.

You gain 'experience' with each race, challenge and achievement you win. And every time you reach a new level more races get unlocked. You can track your progress when you're in your house, under the heading info I believe.

What? How do I get a ticket? I've driven like a maniac almost all the time, and there's some cop stuff at the top of the screen, and some radio chatter, but I've never been in a police chase or anything. How does it work?

Also, I long for the driving game where the player is encouraged to follow traffic laws. The more you feel you are doing something wrong, the more fun it is to push it to the metal (or whatever it's called) and have near-misses and stuff.

Sorry—I was referring to the actual Oahu, not the video game. Hawaii is notorious for its speed traps.

Oh. Well, that's great. Speeding sucks.

Except in games. Then it's the only way to travel.

What? How do I get a ticket? I've driven like a maniac almost all the time, and there's some cop stuff at the top of the screen, and some radio chatter, but I've never been in a police chase or anything. How does it work?

Seriously? Wow, just in the demo, I found that the most fun part of the game was seeing how long I could lead the cops on crazy chases around the island. The afternoon I got my 360 was taken up by a friend and I swapping the controller back and forth seeing who could outlast the cops for longer. Seemed that all you had to do was bother them enough and they'd go after you. Your "driving like a maniac" probably should have done the trick by now...

Your "driving like a maniac" probably should have done the trick by now...

Is it just that they suck at chasing me, then? I just leave them in the dust?

Try ramming a police car and scrape of some bystander's car paint. Before you know it you got a level 3 police force after you complete with roadblocks. But on the first level it's not at all hard to shake them off. Just don't hit any cars and you'll loose them soon enough

I just upgraded from my first car, the Audi TT cabriolet, to the Ferrari 575M Maranello.

Holee shit.

Does this work in real life? I need something to liven up the commute home...

You could always try. Send us a postcard from the slammer!

Holee shit.

Wait till you get to drive in the Ferrari Enzo or the Saleen ;) Or even better yet, just make a test drive in them! You get to race around for 10 minutes completely for free!

Wait till you get to drive in the Ferrari Enzo or the Saleen ;) Or even better yet, just make a test drive in them! You get to race around for 10 minutes completely for free!

Do you have to pay for any damages caused during a test drive?

No. Actually, I'd prefer it if you had to. As it is you can drive around as you like without consequences. I'd be cooler if you had to be extra careful.

But whatever.

So, I just did all the open vehicle transportation quests (mission, whatever), which all pay ridiculously well if you're just careful (I wasn't, so I didn't get as much as I should), and scraped together just enough to upgrade from the Maranello to the Enzo. Holee fuck-aroo. There was this one race ("Return to Sender") which I'd tried a million times, but only gotten silver once. Lots of sharp turns and uphill... hills? Anyway, after I got the Enzo I won it on the first go. Maybe it's time to try some multiplayer matches.

Am I the only one playing this, or what?