Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

Guitar Hero 360

Anyone else got it? Verdicts on new songs? New controller? What's the general thumb concensus?

As for myself:

- while the new controller looks a bit cheaper, the feel is much more solid.

- The whammy bar seems a bit uncomfortably placed, but I'll adjust.

- Hush and The Trooper are unbelievably fun.

- Dead! and Salvation suck, but I expected as much.

- The new bonus songs are really nothing special, but they'll do.

For the first couple of hours it felt like they were just throwing achievements at me. I think I already have almost half of them. The co-op ones may be a bit tough to get, (the guy I play with most honestly has no sense of rhythm) but with the exception of the 1000 note streak one, the Jordan one, and the 5 stars on everything on expert one, they all seem pretty simple. Shocked the hell out of myself when I got the Van Halen award. I was practicing on the PS2 for that one, and just ended up getting it there on a lucky run through Message in a Bottle.

Tier 7 and 8 left to go in career as I got sidetracked by co-op when my roommates came home. Depending on my schedule, I may or may not have time to finish the rest before friday. Who am I kidding though, I'll make time. So yeah, any other thumbs pre-order and/or grab it, or do I get to be the token rhythm game obsessive for a while?

It's coming out in EU in 2 weeks I think. Can't wait. Never owned Guitar Hero for the PS2 (played it a lot though).

The Van Halen is given to you when you get a 500 note streak. Given how much of a fluke it was when I got it, I'm going to wager that I'll never get the Malmsteen. (1000 note streak, and one of the 3 hardest achievements in the game) For the record, the other two that I'll never get are the Start a Real Band Already (5 stars on everything on expert) and Kicked the Bucket. (beat Jordan on expert. Fucking Buckethead, could never pull that off on the PS2, don't see why I will now)

So two weeks to go, huh? Fair 'nuff. Enjoy when it hits, it's a little bit of an adjustment to use the new guitar, but it does feel really good after a bit.

Ok, so I love the leaderboards. I am right now ranked 268th overall. Not too fucking bad. :woohoo:

Also, I've determined that the Malmsteen may indeed be possible. The trick is to get the rhythm down in X-Stream. (one of the bonus songs.) It has a nicely paced riff, with a hell of a lot of notes that are perfect for a huge combo without having to wail up and down and lose your rhythm like Miserlou or Thunderhorse force you to do. My current combo on that one is around 350 notes, but I wasn't really paying close attention. It's already the song that got me the 400,000 point award, and will probably net me the Malmsteen and 500,000 point awards if I practice it a bit. Thus conclude my tips for achievement hunters.

While I'm thinking of rhythm games, what the hell happened to TommyGun? Is he still lurking around here, or did he jump ship? He was even more in love with rhythm games than I am.

Lol, I always see people at Fry's and the like playing this for like hours at a time. Unfortunately they always seem to take it too seriously and end up looking stupid as hell. Kinda turned me off from this game, but I guess I can't judge it until I give it a real chance.:blink:

Taking it too seriously and looking stupid as hell is half the point. I play that thing behing my head, jump around, go for the Van Halen Scissor Kick, whole deal. Let loose and have some fun. If you're playing in public (demo kiosks FTW) then your antics will draw a crowd who you can laugh along at your own absurdity with. Great times for all involved. Give it a shot, man.

Taking it too seriously and looking stupid as hell is half the point. I play that thing behing my head, jump around, go for the Van Halen Scissor Kick, whole deal. Let loose and have some fun. If you're playing in public (demo kiosks FTW) then your antics will draw a crowd who you can laugh along at your own absurdity with. Great times for all involved. Give it a shot, man.

I'm so pleased this is coming to the 360! It was one of the games that made me wish I'd just saved some cash and bought a PS2 instead. I've not played it, but I really like the sound of it and will be picking it up when I can.

Finally, a fun game comes to the 360! :tup:

Of course the 360 one gets extra stuff. Why the hell else would everyone buy it again? Anyone know when the first pack of DLC songs is supposed to hit? I'd heard a rumour that it was today, but that obviously hasn't happened so now I'm left wondering when I get more to play. :gaming:

I've unlocked nearly all the songs on "medium". It was fun blasting through it. But now I've hit the point where I have to really concentrate to progress further.

I still haven't done a single succesful pull-off or hammer-on outside of the tutorial. ;(

Well according to major nelson it appears to be today....

Although they are all songs from GH1 and they seem more expensive than I would have expected (liked). 500 points for 3 songs.... meh

Seems fair-ish. I would've liked 100 points a song, but there it is. It's not much more than that, so it's cool. In the end, the complete Guitar Hero tracklist will cost 5000 points which is a little iffy. 'bout the cost of the game itself. I guess that's to be expected as if you buy the full tracklist, you are buying the game again. Still, I think that on PS2, that's be the price with guitar, so unless they deem me worthy of a free X-plorer when I've collected all the packs, I may feel a bit ripped off. Decent selection of songs released so far though, although I'll never call my Guitar Hero set anything near complete until I've got Crossroads and Godzilla on my tracklist. Fingers crossed for next update.

In the meantime, Higher Ground, Bark at the Moon, (doesn't seem as hard as I remember it...) Frankenstein, Killer Queen, and Ace of Spades will keep me happy. The other four are all decent, inoffensive songs. I guess they needed some filler to go with the ones that people are really paying for. Can't throw all the good songs into one pack, now can we?

5000 = $62.50 , right? Man, I would hate to be a 360 gamer not owning PS2.

Well technically the full track list of the original Guitar Hero would set you back 8000 points as there's 47 songs total.

As far as I'm concerned it's a pretty terrible price point.

As far as I'm concerned it's a pretty terrible price point.

Absolutely: I'd rather pay 200 points for individual songs I wanted, rather than be forced to buy packs of three at 500.

My inner cynic also insists the packs are so the publishers can keep the music fat cats interested and happy, because it generates more revenue across a wider spread of their back catalogue. :shifty:

My fingers, ouch!

Got one of the dud controllers (model 95055), but I just followed the steps listed on the intertron, unscrewed the controller and moved the whammy bar just a little. The whammy bar works fine.

I like that they put proper pictures for all of the bonus songs instead of just putting in barcodes - it's the little things. I also like that the "Download" section of the store has "$ REAL MONEY $" instead of a monetary value like the stuff bought with game cash.

I'm really not sure about buying those bonus packs at 500 points a pop. It's pretty silly really, these kind of things should be priced low enough so that the consumer just buys them without a second thought - that's the whole point of microtransactions.

Oh, and Miffy, Bark at the Moon is probably easier for you now because 1) You've had loads more practice now; and B) The mythical Hammer Ons and Pull Offs I keep hearing about but can never do aren't broken like in the first game. Maybe.

Oh, definitely. There's no way I could move my fingers fast enough to nail that end segment last year. Now, not so much a problem. Still, now that I can do it, the fact that I'm at four stars is driving me a little nuts. The goal is now to be able to say I'v five-starred BaTM. Hello, repetitive stress disorder!

Gimme a break! :)

My point of view was that I'm having some of the best gaming fun I've had in months on my new 360. And it's not because I've got the "new console blinkers" on -- I've owned far too many games machines now to suffer that any more.

I just think it was an unnecessary comment.

Perhaps you misunderstood my use of the word "fun". You'll notice that I give Gears of War three thumbs in my sig, for example. Clearly I enjoyed it! (The new Half-Life, if you ask me.) What I meant when I said "fun" was more the well, "fun" end of the gaming spectrum. There seems to be more than enough games that involve walking around dense cities killing human beings, and not enough plain old simple FUN!

I really miss the broad range the PlayStation offered, for example. (Is it just dewy-eyed nostalgia?). The 360 seems pretty "hardcore" and "gritty" by comparison. My fave games on the PS were Tony Hawks, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Final Fantasy 7, (8 and 9), Soul Caliber, Vib Ribbon. Even Metal Gear Solid was, well, pretty silly.

Viva Pinata looks like the type of game there's not enough of (IMO) on the 360, but Guitar Hero 2 really does look like a whole heap of good old fashioned FUN! No concerns of "realism", "urban grittiness" or FPS-ness, just plain entertainment!

And that's what I meant... To me, Guitar Hero 2 is the first "fun" game on the 360, that's a) really good (there's less serious games on the 360 that aren't worth the time) and B) just concerned with entertainment without tense, violent situations.

If there's more top-quality "fun" games for the 360 I don't know about, then please let me know! I'm so tired of "realism".

Edit: Dear Lord, I can't help reading my post and hearing Hugh Bliss's voice saying the words... ! Oh well!

I'm going to go with Lego Star Wars, Earth Defense Force, Rockstar Table Tennis, and Viva Pinata. Granted, EDF is pretty violent, but it does so in the finest crazy B-movie tradition in that it's about creating a fantastic spectacle with no regard for realism. That counts as fun in my book. Table Tennis is the other end of the spectrum, with realism as job one, but the game is so simple and pure that it's an absorbing and entertaining experience that you can just get sucked into and forget you're playing. Also fun.

Lego Star Wars and Viva Pinata I don't think require justification. They're just fun, nothing more needed. There's also some stuff on Arcade, but I get the feeling you were asking about full games, so I'm leaving that out.

Back to Guitar Hero:

Has anyone else noticed a squeak in their strum bar yet? It happened to me on the PS2 as well, but it took a good 6 months of play before it reared its ugly head. Maybe it's because that's also how long it took me to get to Expert in GH1 and the stress doesn't hit the thing until the higher levels, but it's happening already with my X-plorer. Stupid squeaky strum bar. I'll have to take the guitar apart soon to see if I can get to the bottom of it.