BigJKO

GTA IV trailer

Well, technically, my degree is in Philosophy and Japanese is just some elective stuff I'm doing on the side. I'm actually required to have at least two language credits as part of it too, so if my degree needs it and I'd like to speak it, what the hell? Take that, churlishness.

consider me told! at least i got to use the word churlish in a sentence. tomorrow's word of the day is lambast.

So the second GTA IV trailer was released the other day and since no one's talking about it maybe i should get the ball rolling.

It might be just me but this trailer all seems a bit... underwhelming.l Don't get me wrong, I loved the first trailer; it all looked pretty spectacular and there seemed to be so much potential in it. This new trailer however, just doesn't look as great as I expected it to by this point. I like how it looks like the story might be going a little deeper than previous one and will perhaps be a bit more 3D (if you get me) but all in all it seems a little too "same old".

I realise it's only a trailer but, like I saw, the first trailer was pretty special in my opinion. Anyone else?

Yeah, I was very underwhelmed too. Although it clearly looks a lot better, I was getting too bored of the formula to even finish San Andreas. Unless this drastically mixes things up I'm going to get bored of the graphics and stop playing it fairly quickly.

I've also always thought the GTA animation has been fairly clunky/clumsy, and it seems to have remained so in this new trailer. I can't put my finger on what it is about it since it's not exactly badly animated, but it makes me :fart: a bit.

Man, I don't even know what I'm talking bout!

Well, GTA is always going to be a bit "same old" - the forumula is what makes it GTA. Hard to see how they could drastically change it without making it a different game altogether.

I've always thought the animation in the GTA 3D series is some of the best. They took low-poly models and brought them to life with really great mo-cap. I hate seeing badly animated models these days, but the still pop up in so many "top end" games.

What might be getting to you Thrik is that the gestures are too exaggerated. When the models were low-poly this worked well, but now that the figures themselves are more lifelike the big movements are starting to be more noticeable - as they edge into the uncanny valley in fact.

So the second GTA IV trailer was released the other day and since no one's talking about it maybe i should get the ball rolling.

I realise it's only a trailer but, like I saw, the first trailer was pretty special in my opinion. Anyone else?

It was mentioned and lightly discussed in the "waiting for thread" :shifty:

The first trailer was more of a teaser than anything, revealing setting, some of the engine, and the main character. This new one is pretty much the trailer and the GTA4 that I was expecting.

Yeah, the first trailer was cool and "different", but what did you think was going to happen? GTA: Koyaanisqatsi ? No. It's GTA. There will be guns. There will be guys beat up. There will be a lot of cops. There will be various kinds of vehicles. And there will be some semblance of a plot. This trailer covers that side of it and, really, does it as good as any game trailer around, really (most suck).

Yeah, GTA alright. It's also starting to show some of the ropeiness and quirks that mark games in general: its really easy to tell it looks so slick because of materials rather than poly counts, etc.

I'm expecting dumb AI. Can't wait to pick this game apart; I get on quite well with the GTA formula.

I think the problem, in terms of impact, with the second trailer is that we've already seen what the game's going to look like.

That was always going to be the single biggest difference with the move to next-gen. Now that that's out the way, I was skeptical of any further trailers setting the world alight.

In some ways, it's reassuring to see that the GTA narrative formula remains the same. I'm not hugely excited about #4, but I enjoyed the various stories and acting in Vice City and San Andreas a lot. And the music; Vice City was heavenly. So I think of everything we've not yet been privelaged to, I want to know about the music most of all.