elmuerte

Another mod trying to go commercial

1up has a preview on the, rather cool, ut2004 mod Drawn to be Alive. In which they state they are looking into going commercial, but with their feet still on solid ground, e.g. not going for a cash-in.

The design team is hoping the idea is intriguing enough to interest a commercial publisher and land them a digital-distribution deal in the vein of Portal or flOw. But the team isn't looking to just sell off the idea: "We want to create it from beginning to end," says Girardeau. "We'd like to develop it in a professional way, in a real game development studio. If someone is interested, he can contact the team [at madfiction - at - gmail (dot) com]. It'll be a pleasure to present our game, with a complete demo!"

I hope they succeed in at least finishing the game. Because they [thread=5080]good use of a engine[/thread]. Anyway, it's good to hear they are still working on it, because the previous rumours pretty much left the mod dead in the water.

Well, Drawn to be Alive isn't a mod like any other to begin with : the three guys who made it come from SupInfoGame, a french high-profile undergraduate gaming school, for which they did this project. I saw the developers in Paris back in October '07 and they said they used UE was to create a advanced proof of concept for a project they intended to go commercial if successful.

In fact, Drawn to be Alive is fully playable since last year.

They kept its access 'restricted' because they got a huge positive response at last Game Festival in Paris from UbiSoft people and other professional, so I guess they saw the opportunity to make it a full fledged project.

I saw the developers in Paris back in October '07...

I knew it! He's from the future! :campbell:

On topic though, I remember hearing about Drawn To Be Alive a while ago, when there was just a trailer for it, and being really pumped. Any word on when I can actually get the thing?

Innovative indeed. Kind of funny to see this, just earlier on a different forum we were talking about all the different UT mods out there. I don't play the game myself, but the guy I was talking to said they mods that converted UT into everything from an RTS to an RPG, kind of funny really. :violin:

Cool idea! Needs Tim Schafer! :)

Why ? The guys are obviously very good at what they are doing and smart wacky content is not a genre in which only Schafer can deliver. And that's for the best.