BigJKO

Katamari sequel on the Wii

[link]

According to the site, Beautiful Katamari is currently in development by Bandai Namco and "is set to release on October 17th for $39.99 on the PS3 and XBOX 360 and will feature SIXAXIS support for the PS3 version." The Wii version will reportedly follow shortly after on November 14th.

Finally?

Unexpected news, to be sure. But very good.

Will there be a big difference between the three versions, speculatively speaking?

I'm really not sure how to feel about this one. I was happy that there'd be no more Katamari games when they announced that however long ago that they did. I didn't want the awesome of the series to get run into the ground. I guess it's wait-and-see time now...

Yeah, Namco is going to run the Katamari name into the ground. I'm sure it'll be competent, but without Keita Takahashi it'll become less and less like the vision that won so many people over.

Thankfully, Takahashi is apparently working on something new.

Not only did Takahashi not want the series to continue, but he also wasn't thrilled with the Wii controller concept. (Granted, it's an old, vague article...but still!)

So I don't feel great about this. One Katamari was plenty.

Maybe these sequels were the price he paid for being allowed to work on something new? Man, they better be giving him all the freedom in the world.

I, for one, am happy with it, because never having owned a PS2 I never had the chance to play it thoroughly. Now at leas it will get some more exposure and there will be no reason not to play it anymore ;)

Yeah, I feel the same way as Rodi. I never really experienced Katamari when it was fresh because I didn't own a PS2.

It does seem like the Wii version will be different from the rest, seeing as it's beign released later than the others. Just the controls, maybe?

Katamari will still feel fresh whenever you choose to try it, frankly. It's just that kind of game.

The big question here isn't whether or not it is possible to get the game to work in the Wii - that's a given. The big question is how it'll actually fare against Kororinpa. I always felt Katamari was a bit too chaotic and lacked the focused challenge I wanted - it all seemed a bit random. Maybe that's wrong, I haven't played the game all that much, but what I have played is Kororinpa, and that is my favourite ball-rolling game, period. Which is saying quite a lot.