Jake

Toe Jam & Earl

torja0_1.giftorja0_2.gif

Best cheezy 2D top-view co-op ever. Also: winnar (thats an MP3). I could never forget about this game obviously, but that MP3 reminded me that I really need to find and buy a new copy of it, and beat it. How can you go wrong with crazy aliens and rocket skates, and enemies designed by Steve Purcell? Answer: you can't...

Well, unless you make a horrible ripoff of your own game for Xbox minus the true craziness and minus the Steve Purcell.

Also it should be added that you very easily can go wrong with that late 80s/early 90s design ethic (including copious use of really bad record scratch samples) but with TJ&E its totally acceptable. ToeJam has that huge gold chain and the backwards yellow hat... aww.

torja0_1.gif

s1.jpg

Gotta love that shit.

See also: the title screens in Sonic the Hedgehog.

Ewww.... Idle Thumbs should've looked like that. A pity.

Yeah. TJ&E 3. Its vastly inferior however, despite its use of the same Genesis-esque gameplay.

He did character design of a lot of the bad guys. The shopping lady with the beehive hair and the crazed dentist with the drill are both clearly born from the mind of Purcell. If you have the original game, look through the instruction book for his original concept art of the baddies.

Sorry to drag this topic back up.

I’ve got to say I much preferred the second game. I never got to complete the first. Maybe subconsciously I hated it because of that.

I never played the first with the same obsession I played the second with though. I think it was the mini games in Panic on Funkotron.

I never bothered with TJ&E 3. Something tells me I didn’t miss much.

TJ&E 1 was a great game if you played it co-op with someone else, otherwise it was a little drab. Most all my memories of that game are from playing it with a second person.... I never played the second game but it looked like, as more of a platformer, it could be more fun than the first to get through on your own?

Wow. Thanks for bringing this thread back up, Johanna. I might never have discovered that Steve Purcell, one of my top five most favouritest cartoonists ever, had a hand in ToeJam & Earl otherwise. Don't know how that's passed me by for so long, considering I really like both Purcell and TJ&E.

Back in the days of the Megadrive (Brit name for Genesis) me and my brother spent many hours co-opping this funkadelic piece of console history. It was awesome just for the jacuzzi island with the lemonade stand hidden across the sea on the first level.

Jake's right that it's less fun single-player. It's not one I would tend to pick up when playing minus a player 2. I remember being disappointed that the sequel was a departure from the top-down exploration, and I didn't really give it much of a chance.

TJ&E3 isn't really 'inferior' to TJ&E1...it's just that the simplicity of the Genesis version doesn't really work in a modern game. I wish I held on to my copy of it, as it's beautiful to look at, at least.

I disagree, I thought it was crap. The music wasn't as catchy despite being higher quality audio, the art wasn't as stylish despite being more detailed... It had the new unappealing female character, etc. It just didn't really feel inspired, or as if it was made with any love at all, while the first TJ&E just sort of seemed like people cared. Oh well. Fortunately the first game plus a used Genesis/MegaDrive costs less than buying a copy of TJ&E 3... Well maybe not anymore :)

I think I was about 8 or 9 the last time I played these games, and my friends at the time weren’t interested in games, so I never got to try co-op. Looks like I missed out on some fun, but never mind.

I remember I played the sequel first too, so didn’t know any better about the format change. And yeah, it was probably more fun to play on my own. I sound like such a loner. Yay. :clap:

They added a female character? I hate it when games have to put a girl in just for the sake of it. It’s fucking obligatory to have a token girl in games now… but that’s a rant for another time and place.

True on all counts, I guess. Maybe if they'd stuck entirely to their guns re: early 90s "fresh prince opening titles" style of cool and played that up, instead of trying to hide it a bit, I would have liked it more. That crap is apparently in now anyway right? ¬ ¬ okay or maybe not quite the same. And you're right about the gameplay too... Erm right. I think we're saying the same thing, at least in regards to it not being as good a game as it should have been :)

I have the Real Arcade version, which is just as good as the real thing and it let's you save the game... :grin:

I never played TJ&E 2 but I liked the TJ&E 3, but I agree that adding a girl just to have one was lame... :shifty: