Tanukitsune

Jinkies! I'm likely to be UK bound!

Oooooh... kaaay.... Danielle Corsetto of Girls with Slinghots and Liz Greenfield among others will be the the Birmingham Comic Expo Dec.9-10....

Yes... I'll miss the Wii launch...:frusty:

But it will be worth it! I hope...

The thing is... I could use a little help... I know asking is anybody would be willing to miss the Wii launch to go to a comic convention, but I would be gratefull if anybody would give me tips on moderately cheap-ish hotels. I will bring my DS Lite with the DS browser, so if anybody know hotels that have hot spots or similar, that would help too! I NEEDS MAH INTERNETS! ;(

Finally, it seems it will be cheaper to go to London and then take the subway or metro to Birmingham. If anybody could give me a map of the subway system, I'd be gratefull!

And of course, any tips on the convention itself would be nifty too!

I'll just go panic and whimper in the corner now....:mock:

Here is a link to maps of the tube system...

The tube is London internal only, you'll need to get a train from either Euston or Marylebone Station to Birmingham. Should cost you somewhere in the region of £15 to £30 (return).

hope that helps

How well does the DS browser work?

As I expected, it's slower than browsing on a PC, but faster than a cellphone.

I can read my webcomics, read and post in forums, but no flash.

Here is a link to maps of the tube system...

The tube is London internal only, you'll need to get a train from either Euston or Marylebone Station to Birmingham. Should cost you somewhere in the region of £15 to £30 (return).

hope that helps

So what I save by going by plane to London I lose by taking the train... Hmm, It's a good thing I asked before getting tickets!

Eer, does anybody know a site that is some sort of street directory search engine? So I can find my way around Birmingham?

There is a flight that arrives the same day the convention starts at 9:00AM, but since I don't know how to get there, I'm not sure if I'll miss the start of the show!

Eer, does anybody know a site that is some sort of street directory search engine? So I can find my way around Birmingham?

http://maps.google.co.uk/, or http://local.live.com - the latter has a bird's eye view of some places (including Birmingham), which is really quite good for seeing what the streets actually look like - you can look from four different directions at a 45 degree down-angle.

Regarding trains, you can go to http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ to look up train times and prices. It can route you via the tube as well where necessary.

Are you sure you can't fly direct to Birmingham from a (main) Spanish airport? You can from Bristol International - and Birmingham's a much bigger place - so I'd be surprised if you couldn't. Might cheaper for you to bus up/down/over to a Spanish airport that flies direct in the long run to be honest.

Just a thought...

Also: a ticket from Bristol Temple Meads train station to Birmingham Central is approximately £40 (return), departing 06:15 on the 9th and catching the return train at 19:10 on the 10th. And the hotels are likely to be a decent amount cheaper in Bristol than London I'd imagine, so that might be an alternative for you. Certainly isn't London though (even if we do have a very good Forbidden Planet). ;(

Are you sure you can't fly direct to Birmingham from a (main) Spanish airport? You can from Bristol International - and Birmingham's a much bigger place - so I'd be surprised if you couldn't. Might cheaper for you to bus up/down/over to a Spanish airport that flies direct in the long run to be honest.

Just a thought...

Also: a ticket from Bristol Temple Meads train station to Birmingham Central is approximately £40 (return), departing 06:15 on the 9th and catching the return train at 19:10 on the 10th. And the hotels are likely to be a decent amount cheaper in Bristol than London I'd imagine, so that might be an alternative for you. Certainly isn't London though (even if we do have a very good Forbidden Planet). ;(

I already figured that out on my own, and apparently it's cheaper to go directly to Birmingham that go to London and then get a train...

Some people have already helped a lot, I found a decent hotel in Birmingham that has Wifi so I can surf the net on my DS, I have maps of the area and of the subway system. I know how to get to the convention, hotel and airport...

I might be forgetting a few things, like actually booking all this stuff, but I hopefully still have time! :P

If youre in london and have spare time then maybe give us a call, some of us might be around... not that I live in London, but it is closeby :)

Unless I find some ridicuously cheap fare, I'm going directly to Birmingham...

BUT! There is another convention I plan to go to, it's in Bristol...

There is another convention I plan to go to, it's in Bristol...

That's the Birmingham one in December -- or are they having an equivalent show later on in Bristol as well? Couldn't see anything on that site suggesting it being the case though. Cut 'n' Paste Gremlins methinks.

That's the Birmingham one in December -- or are they having an equivalent show later on in Bristol as well? Couldn't see anything on that site suggesting it being the case though. Cut 'n' Paste Gremlins methinks.

Curses, I got my links mixed up! This is the right link! :frusty:

Ok, it seems I have almost everything ready...

My only concern is the Wii, which lauches the day I leave... The hotel is close to a mall called the Bullring which apparently have a game store or two, but I wonder if customs will let me bring it back without making a fuzz?

After all, it is just a trip between two EU countries...

Also... I hope I'll have to do some sight seeing, since I'll be close to CADBURY WORLD!!!!

Do you want a Wii with a UK plug?

You don't have the same kind of plugs? Curses, then I'll have to bring an adaptor to charge my DS! :P

Bah, it's a bit more expensive there anyway.... :mock: