ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

An X-TREEEEEEEEEEEEEEM direction!!!! OMGLOLZWATSON!

Am I the only one who thinks the Sherlock Holmes movie looks genius?

It depends what you mean by "genius". It looks a little insulting and idiotic, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun.

I think it looks like Sherlock Holmes will be a lot of fun to watch. Everything has to have an established platform to be popular at the moment it seems.

I was mostly uninterested in Sherlock Holmes until I saw Rachel McAdams.

(and why is the [More] Similie link not opening a popup but, instead, a new page?)

I just saw the swedish movie Låt den rätte komma in (Let the right one in). It's a really great movie. It's a vampire movie but not as you know them. It's a must see in my book. Most definitely recommended! :tup::tup::tup:

Don't read anything about it. Just go see it. Trust me.

Yep, it's very good. It's one of those films that left me wondering if it was trying to tell me something that I wasn't understanding, though. WHERE IS MY EASILY-DIGESTIBLE RESOLUTION? I don't know, I'm an idiot. That's not a complaint, by the way. The film would not be better for it. It's an excellent film, though. My mum wants to see it, at least partially because she's Swedish and it seems silly to miss out on such a national success, but it's not showing at our most local cinema any more.

Oh wow, is it still playing in theatres? I saw it last October.

Some excellent/good movies from last year that a lot of people didn't hear of: In Bruges, Wendy and Lucy, Frozen River, Happy-Go-Lucky, Waltz With Bashir, Ballast, Goodbye Solo, Che (Parts 1 + 2), [Rec], XXY, The Devil's Advocate (very interesting documentary), Killer of Sheep (although filmed in the 70s...), La Antena, Taxi to the Dark Side (also documentary), and Synecdoche, New York. Some others I can't remember.

Boy, I went to the cinema a lot last year...

GET OFF YOUR ASS AND GO SEE CORALINE, THAT SHIT'S AWESOME !

See all that text enrichment ? With bold and red and underline and even italic ? That's how grandiose this movie is !

Hell yeah. Coraline and Let the Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in) are two of my favourite movies from this year so far. Both are highly recommended from this end.

I was going to go and see Coraline today, but the local cinema only has it showing once or twice a day at stupid kid-friendly times.

Let The Right One In is as good as everyone says. It requires a smidgen of patience, at least if you are the of hollywood-blockbuster-explosion-loving type, or go in expecting a conventional horror movie.

I also saw and enjoyed In Bruges. It struck me how both these films are interesting in their amorality. Although the protagonists do bad things (and are, when you get down to it, bad people), the wrongness or rightness of their actions is not really judged or examined in any way, and we end up liking and rooting for them. The focus is on personal stories rather than good vs evil, and it makes these films feel really refreshing.

I was going to go and see Coraline today, but the local cinema only has it showing once or twice a day at stupid kid-friendly times.

You'd better move from your neighborhood if you trust me, there are gonna be some traumatized kids running around in the street in no time... It's a strange movie, I would definitely not recommend it for too young children.

I also saw and enjoyed In Bruges. It struck me how both these films are interesting in their amorality. Although the protagonists do bad things (and are, when you get down to it, bad people), the wrongness or rightness of their actions is not really judged or examined in any way, and we end up liking and rooting for them. The focus is on personal stories rather than good vs evil, and it makes these films feel really refreshing.

I watched this last night and was impressed. It's quite tightly structured, with a lot of things presented that are used or referred to later, but would probably stand alone in many other films. It reminds me a little of There Will Be Blood, in the way the characters slot together like gears.

I was going to go and see Coraline today, but the local cinema only has it showing once or twice a day at stupid kid-friendly times

GF and I were surprised at how little the kids in our screening bothered us... Despite it being quite a slow movie, they were all rather entranced :tup: (The 3D may have helped?)

We watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine on Saturday night; it was pleasantly not-shit.

Another name for it would be Marvel Kombat, FIGHT!! :tmeh:

I had problems with the 3D. Occasionally it worked fine (tables looked great! :P) but mostly I started to get a mild headache and felt like I couldn't focus on the correct "depth". Really just immensely distracting.

I'm going to assume you're talking about Coraline, but that's reminded me of something I found rather alarming/depressing in Wolverine: the digital matting and 3D scene compositing was often stunningly poor. Like, "back to the late-90s" bad. :tmeh:

And what the fuck was up with

Patrick Stewart's warped, gelatinous and ethereally disconnected face

at the end?! :eek:

Yeah, there was a lot of really poor CGI in it. Also, yeah:

Patrick Stewart's warped, gelatinous and ethereally disconnected face

He looked like he was about to lead them all off to a gingerbread house and eat them while reciting limericks and giggling.

He looked like he was about to lead them all off to a gingerbread house and eat them while reciting limericks and giggling.

Judging from his slithering, disconnected visage, I should imagine his mouth would open like this:

mueller08-16-07-8.jpg

Season two of the Wire is kindof blah compared to the rest of the series but three, four and five are rad—with four being a kind of high water mark that the fifth couldn't possibly live up to. Still, they are all rad. Best thing on TV.

I agree 100% with this statement. Season four was just incredible.

I just saw Drag Me to Hell last weekend & fucking LOVED it. If you love Evil Dead 2 like I do, you'll totally dig it. It's also got some great Haunted Mansion-esque spookhouse stuff for added aesthetic value.

Also saw Star Trek last weekend, and although I've never given two shits about anything Star Trek (aside from fond childhood memories of the original TV series), I really really enjoyed it. I'm not a JJ Abrams fan either. It's just a whole lot of fun to watch.

And for good measure, here's some Netflix Watch Now recommendations: Let the Right One In (!!!), Day Watch, Crumb, Ong Bak, The Host, Mimic, Ninja Scroll, The Orphanage, Timecrimes, Shiver, Unbreakable, a Very Long Engagement - just for shits & giggles.

Timecrimes

(link) Saw this last month, it's pretty good :tup::tup::tup:

I think it's a pity they're (apparently) doing an English Language remake, as it really doesn't need it.

(link) Saw this last month, it's pretty good :tup::tup::tup:

I think it's a pity they're (apparently) doing an English Language remake, as it really doesn't need it.

True.

Ong Bak

I'd recommend skipping through the dialogue. The only reason to watch that film is to see the crazy stunts.

I'd recommend skipping through the dialogue. The only reason to watch that film is to see the crazy stunts.

The same applies (if not more so) to Chocolate, the Protector, and I'll go ahead and assume to Ong Bak 2 as well. Still, total fucking marital arts & crazy stunts eye candy!