Sign in to follow this  
Carlius

BS4....Hmmm

And they went back to point and click, the Broken Sword series is somehow de-evolving.

I heard that Revolution wasn't working on Broken Sword 4 or they're overseeing it, can someone help explain that? I know they had to fire most of their people a year ago.

I heard that Revolution wasn't working on Broken Sword 4 or they're overseeing it, can someone help explain that? I know they had to fire most of their people a year ago.

I don't remember it all that well, but essentially, yeah, they're only doing the concept/design for this game and someone else is actually producing it. I think Revolution is just a design house now.

I don't remember it all that well, but essentially, yeah, they're only doing the concept/design for this game and someone else is actually producing it. I think Revolution is just a design house now.

Ohh man, that's really sad :tdown:

Yep Sumo is doing the actual production now. Charles Cecil (and I'm pretty sure at least one other Revolution guy) are acting as writers/consultants.

Yeah, there is no Revolution anymore. It's just Charles working from home. :\

I was just looking at them and thinking they looked pretty good, almost on par with the stuff from Dreamfall...

Nooooo, no. No.

While I agree that they've been getting a bit more crap than they deserve, and the characters look pretty detailed, they don't look better than Dreamfall. Dreamfall's got some great art direction. BS4 has next to none, in the screenshots.

Just to know : who is happy to see the serie going back to classic point'n'click?

In my opinion,if they strictly go back to classical adventure game mecanisms, it is a shame, because as bad as BS3 was, it wasn't because of the interface, it was because it presented no challenge whatsoever apart from finding little objects in dark alleys... and the story was hardly more interesting than a SG1 episode.

I wondered what made them take this decision; it's not like the market for strict point'n'click adventure game is a huge one....

Just to know : who is happy to see the serie going back to classic point'n'click?

In my opinion,if they strictly go back to classical adventure game mecanisms, it is a shame, because as bad as BS3 was, it wasn't because of the interface, it was because it presented no challenge whatsoever apart from finding little objects in dark alleys... and the story was hardly more interesting than a SG1 episode.

I wondered what made them take this decision; it's not like the market for strict point'n'click adventure game is a huge one....

Yeah, I don't understand why they went back to point and click, they might as well have saved money and used an improved version of the interface that they had before. I have the feeling that BS3 didn't sell well, and because of that, they thought they could go back to point and click to appease the adventure game fans, who will apparently buy any adventure game, no matter how crappy it is, as long as it looks like an adventure game and doesn't try anything new.

Actually, I'd buy the game instantly if it were 2D point 'n click in the same graphical cartoon style as the first two games.

Now it's the same as with The Sleeping Dragon: I couldn't care less. Really, 3D somehow makes everything so generic and uninteresting (even cheap) for me that it's starting to frighten me. It's completely personal, and I don't have a clue why. Maybe it's a subconscious reaction to a game's shift to 3D because I'm hugely biased towards traditional 2D animation?

I think it's just that it's much harder to give 3d-art personality than it is 2d-art. (But it certainly can be done, as the perennial example Psychonauts shows.)

I won't claim that I don't like 3D persé of course, but since I have such love for 2D animation, it's hard for me to accept and love a transition from that style to 3D. Especially since 3D has to be exceptionally good to be charismatic, whereas even a bit clumsy and off 2D animation can already be sympathetic and charming.

I don't agree with Rodi and Redwall but ,errrr, I am too lazy to find stricking counter examples that would make them beg for mercy.

3D is good, 2D is good... one does different things with these tools, that's all.

Yeah, I don't understand why they went back to point and click, they might as well have saved money and used an improved version of the interface that they had before. I have the feeling that BS3 didn't sell well, and because of that, they thought they could go back to point and click to appease the adventure game fans, who will apparently buy any adventure game, no matter how crappy it is, as long as it looks like an adventure game and doesn't try anything new.

Well, given that practically the entire company is gone, I think the idea is that they can't afford to produce anything other than a cheap and uncontroversial sequel to their most popular game.

...as bad as BS3 was, it wasn't because of the interface, it was because it presented no challenge whatsoever apart from finding little objects in dark alleys... and the story was hardly more interesting than a SG1 episode.

I disagree. I really enjoyed BS3. I thought it was better than BS2, if only because of the subject matter (the aztec thing didn't work as well). But the game had the humor, the characters and the feel of a BSword, even if it wasn't a point n' click.

It was a bit easy, but that didn't bother me. It made me feel smart for a change.

Ok, so Revolution is dead, what I wonder is; is it possible for Charles Cecil and the few guys left to make a living just by running a design house?

I don't believe that could generate alot of money.

Are we about to witness a new flight with talented people into a new company, like telltale?

One more thing, Is BASS2 cancelled or is that given away to some other company?

Well, given that practically the entire company is gone, I think the idea is that they can't afford to produce anything other than a cheap and uncontroversial sequel to their most popular game.

Yeah, I kind of went into a rant about the adventure game industry back there but wouldn't it be cheaper to use a modified interface of Broken Sword 3 instead of creating a point and click interface for a 3-D game?

Yeah, I kind of went into a rant about the adventure game industry back there but wouldn't it be cheaper to use a modified interface of Broken Sword 3 instead of creating a point and click interface for a 3-D game?

Possibly but I think that's where 'uncontroversial' comes in, given the number of adventure gamers who shit a brick when something's direct control. I think the idea with BS4 is that it's a safe, compromising thing that knows only Broken Sword fans and adventure gamers will be interested in it.

Ok, so Revolution is dead, what I wonder is; is it possible for Charles Cecil and the few guys left to make a living just by running a design house?

I don't believe that could generate alot of money.

There's an interview with Charles in the latest issue of Edge (latest for me anyway...a newer one might be out in the UK by now. I tend to get them late) where he talks about his decision to go the consulting route.

Right now he's doing two games, BS4 and one for my company (which meant I got to meet him when he came to our office...w00p). He says he's making a better living doing that than he did before, so it seems to be working for him.

But it's still sad though. Revolution was awesome.

Weeell, I will wait and see if this 3d-point'n'click will work before judging it for the bad. In some way people saying oh no point'n'click why oh why, aren't that different from people saying the opposite... It worked quite well for Discworld Noir...

Weeell, I will wait and see if this 3d-point'n'click will work before judging it for the bad. In some way people saying oh no point'n'click why oh why, aren't that different from people saying the opposite... It worked quite well for Discworld Noir...

And Grim Fandango.

Or does that not count as 3D? I think it does.

I really enjoyed BS3. I thought it was better than BS2, if only because of the subject matter (the aztec thing didn't work as well). But the game had the humor, the characters and the feel of a BSword, even if it wasn't a point n' click.

It was a bit easy, but that didn't bother me. It made me feel smart for a change.

Same here. :)

Isn't it a bit early to dismiss BS4 like this? I mean, we've only seen some screenshots... as long as the writing and puzzles are fine, I'd be pretty happy.

And Grim Fandango.

Or does that not count as 3D? I think it does.

Grim Fandango was keyboard-controlled not point'n'click.....