Sign in to follow this  
lailoken

Will Wright's Editorial in Wired!

Pretty interesting stuff. I'd like to quote the following sentences:

computer graphics advanced, game designers showed some Hollywood envy: They added elaborate cutscenes, epic plots, and, of course, increasingly detailed graphics. They bought into the idea that world building and storytelling are best left to professionals, and they pushed out the player. But in their rapture over computer processing, games designers forgot that there's a second processor at work: the player's imagination.

Brings me back to my favorite genre to critisize: The adventure game. Most of these games did/do/will do that, took away too much player control and imagination, and they paid for it.

On the other side, some of them had very good storylines and dialog that without elaborate graphics or "voice acting" was more memorable and emotional than The Godfather game (probably), and if you read one of the articles of the most recent The Escapist, then it assumes that those levels of production achieved adventure games (and most recently... psychonauts?) never existed.

The twofold genre, I guess. And of course, there's the first 3 hours of final fantasy 9 as another example...

Waitaminute, I didn't realize the whole issue was guest edited by Wright! Wired should be on my doormat when I get home and I can't wait to read it.

Yeah, it's a great issue. Jordan Mechner wrote about trying to reduce cut scenes. There's a timeline board-game starting at 3000 BC. Check it out.