gorbie

Good games in the bargain bins

What are some good games that you might find in the bargain bins today? I always glance over the bargain software rack at Best Buy to see if anything looks interesting. I got a fun pinball game for a few bucks there recently (Ultimate Pinball) but there are sometimes even better finds available for $10 or less.

Here are a few:

Sanitarium -- this was rereleased as "value" software a while back, and it's a lucky day if you can get ahold of it. I think the 2D, isometric graphics still hold up well and it provides an unusual twist on the common "Who am I?" storyline.

You Don't Know Jack -- sort of an aquired taste, something for the Trivial Pursuit lovers or people who watch Jeopardy every night. There are like a dozen variations of this game "franchise." My favorites are You Don't Know Jack The Ride and You Don't Know Jack Headrush. They made about 10 too many of these games, but for a few bucks I think it's worth it to try one out.

American McGee's Alice -- I was surprised to see Best Buy had this in the value software section. This is a great game. The level design is wild and the twisted variation of the old children's story is a lot of fun.

Grim Fandango -- believe it or not, one of the best games ever produced is buried in dusty a pile somewhere right now with a $8.99 pricetag. I'm pretty sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but if you have never played it you are hereby ordered to search every bargain bin in a 50 mile radius for this game.

-T

Grim Fandango, yes. Awesome. But we all knew that already.

Discworld Noir is pretty good, too.

I found Crimson Skies in a bargain bin in Communicate Now the other day, too.

Anachronox can be found pretty cheap these days. I saw it on sale for 10 dollars, still in its original box. Of course I paid 6 times that, but it was worth every cent.

I think I saw Giants: Citizen Kabuto in a jewel case.

X-Wing Alliance is a must if you're a fan of Star Wars or action-flight sims. So is Descent Freespace 1/2

Commandos 2.

I got Fallout 1/2 in dual jewelcase, which was very cheap, but I haven't played the games yet, so I don't yet know if they're worth getting or not. (althrough from what i heard they're excellent)

and oh yeah, Dark Forces 2!!! It may have outdated graphics and crappy AI, but still has the bestest level designs ever in any FPS.

Fallout 1 and 2 are two of the best RPGs ever made, well worth playing.

I'd say the obvious, Half-Life, but since a HL2 engine rerelease of that is on the way I wouldn't bother. Grim Fandango is double-recommended by me, as well as the Monkey Island series - obviously. The Broken Sword series is great too.

Hasn't Beyond Good & Evil been thrown in the bin too, now?

It has always been el cheapo for such platforms as the Gamecube (or at least, for a long long time). And I've been thinking of getting it for all that time... such a sinner!

I picked up Deus Ex in the bargain bin recently, but alas, I have not even started it up yet. Such a sinner!

I'm pretty sure stores just decide what games they want to put in the bin, it's not really an official classification. I've seen BGE still on store shelves.

Here in the NL (and in europe I think) Ubisoft is holding an summersale, splintercell for 19,95 euro, BG&e for 15 euro and all kinds of other recent ubisoft games priced very low

Yes but don't buy BG&E in Holland (like I did). They're misprints from December. Bastards.