Sign in to follow this  
Duncan

Airplane

No, not the movie actually.

Does anyone know how high an airplane is generally supposed to be above the ground? I don't even care what type of airplane. This is maybe something I should know but I realised today I have no fucking idea. I need to know this for something so please help me out. ¬

I think a Boeing 747 type airliner can go no higher than 40 000 feet without stalling out. When they're flying cross-country they usually do it between 20 000 and 30 000 feet, I think.

Am I wrong?

Sounds good. Pilots always say something along the lines of "We have reached our cruising altitude of 32000 feet."

I made that number up, but it sounded right when I said it, so I think it's around there. Of course, 26000 feet also sounded good, so make of that what you will.

They usually fly at an altitude of around 10000 meters.

So 32000 feet sounds about right.

Marek, you're like a flight attendant telling me how to fly a plane!

Alright, thanks, guys! :tup:

Over rural land, 500 ft min.

Over more congested, such as a small town or anything above that, 1000 ft min.

Unless you're landing of course. Then s'all good.

Over bodies of water, you can skim your landing gear on it if you wanted as long as you're at least... oh bullocks... I think 100 or 200 feet away from any person or property.

This one is for free: You can drop stuff out of an airplane as long as you take care to ensure it does not cause damage to person or personal property. I like bags of flour, myself. *Poof*

Haha! I finally got to use my pilot training for something!