Sign in to follow this  
JoeX111

Land of the Dud?

Just saw Land of the Dead today. It was....alright, I guess. But definitely not the second coming of the Zombie movie people were hoping it would be. George Romero's vision of how society would end up at the end of his zombie apocalypse is pretty spot on, I think, but the movie lacked a lot of the truly human moments that made it feel authetic in the original three (well, I guess I should say two, seeing as how I've never seen Day of the Dead, but still). While being the second best movie I've seen this summer, it still isn't that great.

Anyone else?

Pity. The trailer seemed pretty neat. I'll still be seeing this, it should be a nice zombieromp.

Internet film nerds seem to be exploding over it, declaring it the most fresh awesome thing ever, while mainstream critics are not liking it at all. That sort of response usually worries me, but I'll still be checking it out. I haven't seen the other 3 Romero zombie movies though, but the first one is arriving via Netflix tomorrow.

I haven't seen the other 3 Romero zombie movies though, but the first one is arriving via Netflix tomorrow.

I'm not a hardcore Romero fan (though my friend David is, who had the exact same response to Land as I did), but I recommend that if you like the original Night of the Living Dead, that you give the remake by Tom Savini a try. Very very little is changed in it, aside from having more convincing gore and being in color, but something about it just strikes me as being better and more exciting than the original.

And Tony Todd is absolutely awesome as Ben.