Sign in to follow this  
simpson yellow

Chuckie Egg - the best platformer ever?

OK, perhaps not, but it definitely kicked ass. Released in '83, it was the definitive game on my BBC micro. Collecting eggs whilst avoiding chickens (and one giant flying duck thing on harder levels) - if that's not genius, I don't know what is :shifty:

Brilliant game pace, the most responsive game character I ever played on the BBC, and remarkably well-tuned gameplay. Pure gold from A&F Software (who never released anything else anywhere near the calibre of Chuckie Egg).

Note the screenshot: "Please start your tape". Damn, that brings back some memories.

Anyone remember this puppy?

post-114-13375602762189_thumb.jpg

post-114-1337560276248_thumb.jpg

post-114-13375602762643_thumb.jpg

I played it in school on their BBC Micros/Acorns whatever and it rocked as I recall. I remember being very let down when I played later versions on my Spectrum... it was SO rock hard!!

Was it always like this or am I just a useless old sod now?

Chuckie Egg was the first platform game I ever played. It was also the first game on which I broke a joystick.

Coincidence? I think not, I seem to remember it being rock hard too :shifty:

The first joystick I ever broke (I think) was on Supertest on the Spectrum (a clone of Hyper Sports).

The first mouse I ever broke was playing the last mission of Cannon Fodder. I smashed it to pieces and then had to fix it so I could complete it only to get an ending sequence which very subtley (but yet quite literally) told me to F-U-C-K O-F-F. Thanks, Sensible. :)

This is a good idea for a thread actually... where did you break your first peripheral? :)

This is a good idea for a thread actually... where did you break your first peripheral? :)

Do it! Do it!

All will be revealed when this is done.

Sadly Chuckie Egg 2 could not be equally reckoned.

What the hell was he supposed to be, a seahorse or something?