Sign in to follow this  
Bc9b

The Hitchhikers Movie and an attempt as splolerlessness

:tup:

Ok, so the directors chop up a few jokes to the point that their not funny, some of the best and most thoughtful bits from the book are dissolved into physical comedy and they added in some really pointless romance that really shouldn't of been there. Screw it. The movie rocked (except for that love story that was done really badly. I mean, really badly. Just ignore it and you'll be happy.). Even if the directors don't know crap about humorous banter, the movie has a visual lushness that is simply awe inspiring. The art directors are gods. And for every opportunity to tell a joke that the movie misses, they hit another gag perfectly. It may not be the perfect movie that the books deserved, but it shure is worth the money to go see it.

Just a note... the romance was actually Douglas Adams' idea, not the studio's.

I still don't like it, because it brings a few otherwise funny scenes too a screeching halt. I'm not against the addition of this plotline, but it's not funny or poignant, just annoying.

Yeah, the romance is handled VERY VERY BADLY in the film. It is positively groan inducing, especially in the scene where

the mice are trying to remove the ultimate question from Arthur's head.

It turns what would have otherwise been a pretty good movie into a middle of the road one that isn't bad, but not as great as it could have been. It isn't even the fact that love story is there which bothers me, I could honestly care less, especially knowing that Douglas wanted that in there before he died. It just the fact that it feels completely forced, and the movie bashes you over the head with it every chance it gets.

There were a couple things about the story that annoyed me, and some of the best jokes from the book were abbreviated and just came off as awkward puns. But overall, I liked it. The visuals, I agree, are fantastic. Cast was good, music was respectable (I like how they used the original theme song from the radio series) but not great, but I still think the script could have used some work.

But, man, I have to give them credit. It must have been wicked hard to make a movie out of a book like that.

I didn't see how anyone who knows about THGTTG would even understand what's going on in the movie. It seems that things were kind of rushed, like trying to hard to move the movie forward without explaining some of it very well.

I thought the intro with the dolphins was unecessary, they could have gotten the same point accross when the guide flies in space and it says the title of the movie. It feels like they just added the dolphin intro because someone said that they must have credits in the beginning of the movie.

I dunno, when I read the book(s) I thought everything was supposed to be kind of absurd (for our earthling point of view) and with the attitude that space just is, like everything that's happening is just plain normal (a bit like the original star wars), but from the movie tone space is either goofy (that is, everything was purposely made a gag) and it's also the most amazing thing ever... wow, space. wow.