Sign in to follow this  
lailoken

Fantastic Four Movie...

Just saw the new trailer [linkage] and ... I kinda think it is going to suck! The actors are all wrong and the budget seems too low to do a superheroflick any justice. And to be quite honest, I guess I really wouldn't care, since in my humblest of opinions, Fantastic Four isn't such hot IP anyway... if it wasn't for what to me amounts to the Best Supervillain of all times: Viktor van Doom!!! Doom is the best! That guy needs to have his own movie! I totally forgot how great he is! So now I am really pissed off, because, since this is going to blow, the IP is dead and ole Doom won't get another chance!

If there's any great Dr. Doom fans out there, please show me the way to get my hands on his greatest moments.

I only wish that he wasn't played by "that guy who was soo "great" in "charmed" that he got his own tv series "nip/tuck"" and who, even if he was a great actor just simply could never fit into Viktor's (or is it Victor?) shoes! The whole thing looks fairly halfassed and I guess it's Fantastic Four series' fault for not inspiring some great director into making a better adaptation... but still!!!! ;(

I guess it's Fantastic Four series' fault for not inspiring some great director into making a better adaptation...

Uh, I call bullshit on that one...

Uh, I call bullshit on that one...

So the movie is done by a great director who has been a fan forever and this will lead to the movie being great?

Or you are like me a huge fan of F4 and will not take such open slander against one of the most fabulous superherocomics ever written?

Or you just like to use the words "uh I call bullshit on that one..." at random.

Disclaimer!

In all likelihood all this was utter nonsense and only written for its own sake...

But Jessica Alba is in it! Have you seen Jessica Alba? Forget about that Honey or whatever crap. She's awesome. She's also in Sin City, which looks like it will turn out to be ridiculously cool (It would look that way even if she weren't playing a stipper in it.)

And yes, the movie does look like mindless fun. And on Dr. Doom, I might not be the best person to judge because I only know him from Marvel vs. Capcom 2, but he seems to be quite lame.

So the movie is done by a great director who has been a fan forever and this will lead to the movie being great?

Or you are like me a huge fan of F4 and will not take such open slander against one of the most fabulous superherocomics ever written?

Or you just like to use the words "uh I call bullshit on that one..." at random.

Disclaimer!

In all likelihood all this was utter nonsense and only written for its own sake...

I'm not sure what you're talking about in this post, but as far as your original one goes, saying that the reason the movie looks shitty is because the series failed to inspire some great director is ludicrous. By that logic, I'd suspect Alan Moore to be one of the shittiest writers around, based on schlock like the From Hell adaptation and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen adaptation. After all, his series clearly didn't inspire some great director to make better adaptations. And what do you mean "like me a huge fan of F4"? I thought you explicitly noted you weren't a fan of it, except for Dr. Doom? For my part, I don't read many superhero comics so I can't claim to be any huge Fantastic Four fan, but I would never think to suggest that the property is inherently less capable of inspiring a good adaptation than any other property. And considering I've never used "those words" before as far as I'm aware, your witty jab didn't exactly tell me off.

Great! See this is an actual informative reply! That is all I wanted.

I should explain that I did not mean to imply that F4 is bad, simply that it is not as chique as other more extravagant of its peers. I just feel sorry that someone did such a halfassed attempt at a REAL classic since F4 is one of THE original comics and to a certain point defined the medium. I am not talking only about the director (but that would have been a way to ensure a proper adaptation) but also about the budget and/or the missing of properly cast big names. Yes I know who Jessica Alba is, but she is simply wrong for the part.

Mindless fun? Sure! But there is good mindless fun and there is the kind where you end up with the feeling that some "mindless" redneck just raped your old teddy that you used to cherrish untill you reached puberty and hid him in your cupboard.

....there is good mindless fun and there is the kind where you end up with the feeling that some "mindless" redneck just raped your old teddy that you used to cherrish untill you reached puberty and hid him in your cupboard.

;( !!!!

Great! See this is an actual informative reply! That is all I wanted.

I should explain that I did not mean to imply that F4 is bad, simply that it is not as chique as other more extravagant of its peers. I just feel sorry that someone did such a halfassed attempt at a REAL classic since F4 is one of THE original comics and to a certain point defined the medium. I am not talking only about the director (but that would have been a way to ensure a proper adaptation) but also about the budget and/or the missing of properly cast big names. Yes I know who Jessica Alba is, but she is simply wrong for the part.

Mindless fun? Sure! But there is good mindless fun and there is the kind where you end up with the feeling that some "mindless" redneck just raped your old teddy that you used to cherrish untill you reached puberty and hid him in your cupboard.

Well I certainly agree about the trailer looking like crap. It's about the worst trailer I've seen in years. It left me with not the slightest bit of enthusiasm for the film. I hold out no hope for the film being fun in any sense, but I suspect it will certainly be mindless.

HaHa...that is the one starring Sir Ben "I am Ghandi" "House of Sand and Fog" "Sexy Beast" Kingsley, right? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha yeah I gotta hand it to you trep, nothing will ever be able to go lower than that one! *shrugs* but who knows... who knows...

For me, this movie goes directly to the "Daredevil" and "Catwoman" pile of movies about superheroes that I didn't like in the first place. It can still be good, dumb fun, hell it probably will. But I think the Fantastic Four are bizarrely uninteresting in the first place.

yes I know what you mean... even though I used to be a fan, I realize that there is way more interesting stuff out there (sin city would come to my mind... but not much else :blink: ) but VICTOR VON DOOM!!!! is there a more classic villain? I think they should make a movie just about him... and with a really good actor playing the part... his story kind of reminds me of the new batman movie which given christian bale's involvement as well as chris nolan as director, promises to be a good one....

Like I said before, I don't read superhero comics much, but I do recognize the significance of the Fantastic Four on that genre. Regardless of only having bought one Fantastic Four comic in my life (and it's the one by indie cartoonist James Sturm of The Golem's Mighty Swing), I think the franchise deserves better. I also just the concept of a small group of family and friends as superheroes; I think there's intrinsically more material there to work with than with just some other generic guy who goes and fights bad guys. I'm really disappointed this movie won't be better (again, despite my lack of personal investment in the property).