Sign in to follow this  
Intrepid Homoludens

Gothic II English demo

goth_thumb004.jpg g2_thumb004.jpg g2_thumb022.jpg gothic2_thumb004.jpg

Just noticed it at Gamer's Hell. Anyone play this one yet? It's not that recent, released in Europe a while back but not N/A yet. I'm downloading right now, watched a couple gameplay movies. It's heavily story driven, yes?

I played a bit of this demo last night. Thank god for 'T6' speed connections, this thing was a heavy 300-something MB.

The combat sucks. Is it my imagination or can I not disengage from the enemies and run to safety? Also, I can't seem to consume healing herbs in the heat of battle.

Otherwise, I kinda like it, the exploration and stuff.

The game has been out for quite a while. I have it. I haven't managed to play it. I just hate the decisions that I have to make at the very beginning. They seem like the kinds of decission that will bite me in the ass, and bite me hard.

Well I have Gothic 1, and it sounds like they haven't improved the combat at all, because it was kinda crappy in there too. I do like it though, I'll take all the open ended rpgs I can get.

Well I have Gothic 1, and it sounds like they haven't improved the combat at all, because it was kinda crappy in there too. I do like it though, I'll take all the open ended rpgs I can get.

Gothic 1 is the least open-ended RPG I have ever played.

I disagree that the combat is crap. It's not great when you're fighting many enemies at the same time and they should figure out some way of dealing with that for nr 3, but otherwise it's fine... even really good. For example, you fight better if you time your slashes right, as a result you can sometimes beat enemies that would statistically kick your ass. I really like the way you can basically directly control the slash by holding down control and using the arrow buttons. You can block too in case you didn't know.

And you can run away from a fight, just quit holding down the action button (usually CTRL). In fact, running is great. I've floored massive trolls by running between their legs and stabbing them in the heels. :erm:

I do remember not being able to learn magic as a mercenary, but you can become a mage and still be good at combat... or you could become a Paladin. They do both, I believe.

Gothic definitely gets the prize for Most Confusing Control System To Get Into, but once you do, it's kinda cool.

Oh and have you tried the lock-picking?

You'd think so. I almost never played it cause the first time I came across this game it, er, didn't have a manual and I spent ages trying in vain to figure out how to play the damn thing until the friend who had recommended the game pointed out that you want to hold down CTRL and then use the arrow keys to do stuff.

CTRL is by default the universal action button, you use it in combination with the arrow keys to do basically anything.

For example, if you have your sword drawn:

CTRL + up = slash

CTRL + left = slash left

CTRL + right = slash right

CTRL + down = block

... and when you want to interact with an object you usually press CTRL + up, or in some cases + left or right.

Although I think I remember that in Gothic 2 you don't always need to use the arrow keys...

I got Gothic 2 back at release. Its a great game, but its fucking confusing to get into, and there are a few points in the game where you feel kinda lost. I never completed it though, but then again i rarely do.