Sign in to follow this  
Ryam BaCo

yesterday i thought about names...

...in fact company names and how wrong they are. okay, okay in fact in fact in fact in fact in fact i only thought about two names using the fine word arts. soooo if you include the fine word arts in your company name, in your computer game company name, then i expect that they are producing art. (when you open a shop, that sells shoes, you won't call it...ahm...hmmm...good old ryam's fly-fishing lures...ohw...that was lame) they'll define the media computer game as art. being creative, invent something "new", tell tales, that make you laugh, cry,... just art then.

so why is electronic arts called electronic arts? are they producing art? is james bond 039845905, fifa football 2489, nfs: underground - overground dingdingdong 888 art? why isn't electronic arts called electronic dictatorship, electronic cash mashine,...?

and why is lucasarts called lucasarts? i'd probably understand if they'd name themself as star wars arts...hmmmmmm...

no. stop. wait. this thread is pretty dumb. and naive. just like me. :deranged:

Well maybe back in the day, before they jumped the shark, the games they made were considered to be art. I know that many people would consider Grim Fandango and Full Throttle to be art. So should lucasarts be renamed to Schaferarts?

Art

(n.)

1) Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

2)

1. The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.

2. The study of these activities.

3. The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.

--Erwin

Profess, not protest... that, Sir, is the ultimate extent of my contribution to this thread.

Usually they're protesting though.

"So what is this supposed to be?"

"It's ART!"

"Uh, right, okay. What is it?"

"ART, you unsophisticated fool! You simply cannot comprehend the genius of my ART!"

Lucas Arts should rename themselves to Star Wars Game Developer!

Or, rather, Star Wars Game Publisher.

(I don't even know who will get this joke.)

I don't know who wouldn't.

People who make a "duct tape ball" and call it art should be castrated. I don't consider anything art that anyone you pick off the street can duplicate. The same thing goes for the industry. Mediocre games that come out of Electronic Arts could very likely be duplicated by most other development studios.

In fact, that's probably how it happens, as they are just a publisher that buys up little studios. So, two publishers (Star Wars Publisher and EA Publisher), both having roots in what might be considered 'art', but have since strayed far from that path... well... yeah. Whatever.

As Lucasarts should be "Star Wars Game Publisher", EA should rename itself to "Games, Inc."