Sign in to follow this  
General Fuzzy McBitty

Katamari Damacy!!!

Thank you for telling me about it Thumbs! I love it! It's my new fav. game of 2004.

If you haven't played it yet, buy it.

I got the little scarf, and am currently playing level 2 over and over to see if I can get the Katamari big enough to roll over the Nintendo (i'm sure it isn't labled that, but the controllers are NES type).

I LOVE THIS GAME! :innocent:

Yay!

There's a really good post mortem of it in Game Developer Mag (to those who are subscribers).

You get presents by rolling up the box they're in, so you have to be of sufficient size. They're always really small, though, so it's no big deal.

I'm not a good present finder.

This game is SO awesome! I keep getting giddy whenever I have a first.... you know, first rat, first dog, first tv, first kitty, first small child, first boom box, first adult.... it's amazing.

The scale is mind boggling. The chair I use as a ramp is soon run over, the thing I thought was a wall turns out to be a tv that I later add to my ball, animals that once were dangers are soon fleeing from my mass.... I wonder if this is what it's like to be a fat guy.

Man, so true. It's horrible to drive after playing any GTA game for an extended period. Practically any of my friends can attest to this.

And I've definitely experienced the Katamari Effect when riding shotgun. I've never reached for a steering wheel, but I find myself constantly thinking "Man, when I roll up those telephone poles it's going to get really bumpy".

That's to say nothing of my high school days when I played so much Tetris on my calculator in math class that I'd see falling blocks in my head while walking around.

Ha ha ha, I thought we could pick up that mailbox, ha ha ha, dumbass.

Wait, wait wait wait, wait. Your calculator had Tetris!??

And what's 'riding shotgun'?

Yay!

There's a really good post mortem of it in Game Developer Mag (to those who are subscribers).

oh man, i SO need to read that! a quick google search says that no-one has any scans ... would u mind scanning it up for me plz?

SiN

Riding Shotgun, ehhh? Perhaps it's because if you're going to blow stuff up as you're driving along by shooting at it with a shotgun, the passenger is going to have to do the shotgun shooting, because the driver will be driving. So you'll be riding on the shotgun-using side of the car.

I'm a genius!

yeah if i am not mistaken it originates with the introduction of the first jeep to the us army. the guy in the passenger seat would be left with the task of defending the car with his trusted shotgun. from the affirmative "shotgun" also stems the common practice of "calling" shotgun before entering a car, thereby proclaiming the intent to take the passenger seat. :awesome:

I think it stems back from the wild west days, where the byrider on the post coach had to defend the coach against natives and highway men and carried the shotgun. hence the 'riding shotgun'.

I think it comes from the future where all passenger seats are replaced with a little automated turret that has a shotgun ontop to prevent car theft or something.

:wtf:

I'm a little irritated. I beat it, and I was hoping that when I beat it, i would have no time and be able to pick up a bunch of shit... other than that, great game.

I love it, but I love it so much I want to roll up everything. GIVE ME NO TIME LIMIT DAMNIT YOU BASTARDS!

:kd:

On the last level, you can pick up everything once you get fast enough.

well it links to this!

So stagecoach guards rode shotgun – they just didn't call it that in the 1880s, as far as anyone has yet discovered. The term "riding shotgun" to refer to the guard sitting next to the driver doesn't emerge from the Old West but rather from movies and TV shows about the Old West. To date no one has found a cite for "riding shotgun" during the time stagecoaches were actually used.

The earliest usage we've found in pulp fiction occurs in the March 27, 1921 issue of the Washington Post's "Magazine of Fiction," in a story entitled "The Fighting Fool" by Dane Coolidge. The opening lines are:

"Lum Martin!" shouted McMonagle, owner of the Cow Ranch saloon, waving his finger in front of Benson's face, "that's the man – Lum Martin! He's ridin' shotgun forWells Fargo – or was until last week – and he's over in my saloon right now, playin' solitaire!"

:oldman:Straight Dope Staff Report

so there is no proof either way :oldman::benstein:

On the last level, you can pick up everything once you get fast enough.

I know. You can do that on most of the levels. My main irritation is that I feel that since I beat it, it should give me the option to play some levels with no timer. This would be nice for when I'm feeling stressed out.

You can actually get an unlimited time limit in 3 of the levels... if u get over 800m on the Moon lvl. u get eternal for Moon, over 25m in make a star 8, and 1m30cm in make a star4. :D