Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Sleep

I have discovered the mysteries of sleeping!

I've had trouble with it for years on and off... I've had trouble falling a sleep, I've had trouble waking up. Usually I always wanted to sleep at least 10 hours... All this culminated in about a month or less ago when I had completely confused day & night.

But now since two weeks ago or so, I've started going to sleep always between 21..24 or so. Haven't stayed up later so far. And I'm waking up every morning without any alarm about 7 or 8 o'clock and have never slept past 9:30. That's pretty amazing for me... And I don't even feel like I need to sleep for 10 hours... Don't know how I did it, maybe going to sleep earlier was just enough.

I hope I didn't just jinx it. Good night.

Well, I'm going to stay up the whole night, no sleep at all. Ironically, I am feeling sleepy now, so maybe I should try it after all... :shifty:

I never manage to go to sleep early, but that has probably more to do with that I like late nights and is not particulary fond of early mornings. And as a student, this mostly works out.

My sundry sleep disorders are legion.

Sleep paralysis, insomnia, narcolepsy, sleep hallucination, night terrors; yup. I've had them all.

The hallucinations are the best, they've included:

A Korean caberet dancing troupe complete with semi-automatic handguns.

A rotating Doom 3-rendered ceiling.

Terrible beasts leaping from the black lines in barcodes.

Everything outside the window exploding in a vast sphere of fiery renewal.

Oh my, yes.

"Sleep Hallucinations" = "Dreams" surely? :confused:

No, you're awake when they happen, but sleep-deprived. They're associated with the sensory deprivation you get when you're lying in bed trying to sleep. Sometimes they happen when I wake up out of a dream suddenly (the exploding world one happened when a really loud car drove past my window)

The barcode thing came out of a rather insane dream, doom 3 was straight up sleep deprivation, and the korean thing was a dream I woke up from too.

I've had a number of death dreams too (Shot in the heart by Al Pacino, exploded by a kick in the chest by the cast of Kill Bill, neck broken twice)

Those are especially WEIRD.

Vive la Caffeine.

Once when I was home for the holidays and somewhat tense about all the coursework I was going to have to hand in when I came back, I had a dream that somebody had stolen my computer but left the keyboard, with on the back some lines written in black marker detailing when and where to bring ransom to get it back. :eek:

I was shot in a dream once, too. I wonder if the feeling of actually getting shot is anything like what I've experienced in my dream. Weird sensation.

--Erwin

Something about me, is that I just can't stay asleep after 7. If I sleep really late, that's changed to 8. But that's about the max.

I think it's because by then I really really have to go to the bathroom because of all the water I drink during the night. :P

But I'm glad you're having this discovery. Always good to have some consistency with one's sleep. :)

For years, I could get by indefinately on about 5.5 hours sleep. Now I need 6.5 :sad: I find the biggest problem is that if I figure I need to look after myself after some late nights and go to sleep an hour or two earlier than usual, I just wake up an hour or two early instead and fail to get back to sleep again, even though I'm still exhausted :( I've always been envious of people who can fall asleep whenever/wherever they want to...

I've had a number of death dreams too (Shot in the heart by Al Pacino, exploded by a kick in the chest by the cast of Kill Bill, neck broken twice)

Those are especially WEIRD.

Vive la Caffeine.

yeah, i had my head chopped off when i was about 14. i could taste the blood and everything. my head rolled around for a while and then i could see everything in silhouette and the moon was huge. there was a tree on a hill in the dark.

Ever had one of those dying/being injured dreams that was actually related to real life, like dreaming that a fire alarm's going off when actually it's your alarm clock. I remember the first time I ever got cramp was as a kid of maybe 10 years old. I dreamt that I was surrounded by a circle of monsters (a bit like from Where the wild things are', but a little thinner and scarier). They were closing in and I was doomed. Then one of them lunged forwards and stabbed me in the left lower leg and it was agony. I woke up and my left calf was actually killing me, and ached for ages afterwards. It freaked me out for most of the day until I figured out it must be this 'cramp' thing that other people get sometimes.

I knew this couldn't last forever... slept for 15 hours today...