Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

I rarely watch TV these days. Besides news & movies, I occasionally watch Firends, Sopranos, Monk and that show about the undertakers. Umm... about once a month if even that.

But there's this British show I like that I haven't really watched often, but I've liked every episode. It's called "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet" and it's about British construction workers. The characters are all kind of old school and at first I thought this was a show from the late seventies. (Usually I can tell at least the decade immediately just by the colors or some visual details) The last time I saw it was this summer and they were in Spain, working illegally and being confused with some bank robbers.

Anyway, today I saw another episode and now they were in Cuba. Still thought this was from the early '80s or so, but then I noticed quite modern cell-phones... looked at IMDB and it says 1983-2004. Surprise...

Anyone else watch this show?

It was originally aired in the eighties, but they made a few new episodes a couple of years ago too.

It was originally aired in the eighties, but they made a few new episodes a couple of years ago too.

Yes, it's not being going continuously for twenty years. I think a few series were made in the early eighties (by ITV), then it was nothing but a memory until the BBC revived it a few years ago in glossy, high-budget form - hence the exotic locations :sombrero: . There's quite a tradition of this happening in British television, I'm not sure if it happens anywhere else. :shifty:

It is quite good though - probably one of the more enjoyable TV programmes in recent years! I'm glad you liked it enough to make a thread about it!

But it's not quite as awesome "that show about the undertakers". :mrt:

Yes, it's not being going continuously for twenty years. I think a few series were made in the early eighties (by ITV), then it was nothing but a memory until the BBC revived it a few years ago in glossy, high-budget form - hence the exotic locations :sombrero: . There's quite a tradition of this happening in British television, I'm not sure if it happens anywhere else. :shifty:
Reviving old shows or placing them in exotic locations? Yes both happen here all the time too, but not at the same time so far.