Sign in to follow this  
D.C.

BioWare

I've played two BioWare games. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights. I like KOTOR and didn't like NWN. (I can't stand those dungeon RPGs that have all those pointless and geeky rules.)

I hope that Dragon Age will be more like KOTOR. It's based on BioWare's own universe and set of rules, so it has the potential. Jade Empire looks like it's shaping up to be a more KOTOR-like game. I'd be pretty pissed if they made a stupid NWN style of RPG.

What do you people think?

I think seeing as it's called "Dragon Age", it's rather more likely to be one of your AD&D 3rd edition rulebook of doom geekfests to be honest :)

I LAN'd NWN for a while, and watched my flatmate sink temporarily into a phase of total KOTOR obsession, and don't think either kind of RPG is necessarily better.. I think I'd pretty happily wade through an NWN-like hardcore RPG if the story was as good as KOTOR... :peace:

KOTOR wins hands down in my opinion, if only for the inclusion of the HK-47 droid.

I played through NWN completely but found it ultimately unsatisfying, it became really easy really quickly. I was only about half way through before i could mash absolutely any monster in the game (except for those big fuck off dragons).

I think the lack of real distinction between environments was also a turn off. KOTOR had a sense of genuine social and political presence on each of the worlds which i really liked. The NWN missions just felt like i was dancing with the same pig but wearing a different dress each time. I daresay KOTOR was guilty of this too, but not to the extent where i noticed it or felt it impeded my experience, which makes all the difference

HK-47 kicks asss! :)

"Want me to terminate these meatbags, master?"

Shame I haven't managed to unlock all of his memories yet :/

Heh, his backstory is pretty funny. You probably all know that Obsidian Entertainment is making KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords. I've heard that HK-47 will be back.

I've played two BioWare games. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights. I like KOTOR and didn't like NWN. (I can't stand those dungeon RPGs that have all those pointless and geeky rules.)

What do you people think?

aww, i m not saying that KOTOR or NWN aren't worthy (infact i liked both of 'em) but u gotta hand it down to BG. i mean cmon, look at baldur's gate 2 : throne of bhaal, or rather shadows of ann. these games own anyday.

and now that u have started my train of thought ... MDK2 was quite fun too :-p

I haven't played the BG games though. KOTOR and NWN are my first BioWare games and they are almost completely different. :)

Baldur's Gate series is probably Bioware's best effort. I just love'em.

Knights of the Old Republic was pretty good, but nowhere near as good as BG series. There were only a handful of planets you could travel to, and each planet only has one or two cities with only a few dozen dwellers, which made the universe feel very tiny. I didn't find the game challenging, plus I thought the "plot twist" near the end was kinda corny.

NWN was just crap (or at least the single player part of it). Too damn many locked& trapped chests, repetitive tile-based world, seemingly useless henchman, dissatisfying ending, etc...

The quality of their games seem to fluctuate unpredictably.

Knights of the Old Republic was pretty good, but nowhere near as good as BG series. There were only a handful of planets you could travel to, and each planet only has one or two cities with only a few dozen dwellers, which made the universe feel very tiny.
I thought that this made the game more focused. They had a definitive quest and were focused on the quest. I liked the fact that the majority of the quests revolved around the main quest in some way. Jade Empire seems like it has potential, but it's an X-Box exclusive.

yes but maybe they could've handled it better... when the game imposes limitations on where the player can go and cannot go with seemingly no reason, I tend to lose my suspension of disbelief. I mean what's stopping me from travelling to the planet next to Dantooine, say?

In BG games I didn't feel like I was hitting any roadblocks. They practically let you travel to anywhere you like (as long as it's within the map)

You've got a point, but then there are other extremes like Morrowind. In this game the world was so huge and there were so many quests that it's easy to loose interest in the game. Open ended gameplay is cool, but if I was forced to choose between a focused linear sort of game like KOTOR or an open ended game like Morrowind, I would definately choose KOTOR.

PlaneScape : Torment was easily the best Bioware games by far. Best storyline of any PC game ever.

"I see a dead man speaking to a pillar of skulls"

Runs at insanely fast speeds on my PC at the mo, so its no more Planescape for me. :(

Planescape Torment was made by Interplay's Black Isle division.

And the guys who are making kotor2, obsidian, are almost all former black isle guys :)

They made those Fallout games as well, right?

That's correct.

PlaneScape : Torment was easily the best Bioware games by far. Best storyline of any PC game ever.

"I see a dead man speaking to a pillar of skulls"

Runs at insanely fast speeds on my PC at the mo, so its no more Planescape for me. :(

PS:T is the best rpg ever made. Perfect gameplay, story, music, graphics, everything.

Runs too fast on your computer??? really? I tried running it on p4 2.0 ghz and it runs just fine. what computer do you have? Did you try the patch?

I'm sorry but NWN was a game of pure genius. The single player wasn't that bad but it was the multiplayer that was truly masterfull.

The fact that you could change almost every single detail of the game and make your own rules and your own world with NPCs that say what you've scrpted for them and then the amount of items and spells and uniqeness of each class and the enemies and graphics and come on!

If you don't like NWN or at least appreciate it for what it is then you sir, are a fool!

NWN had me locked in my room for a good long time. I remember this worried Spaff and others as I made little effort to let anyone know of my whereabouts.

I have played BG and am in the middle of BG II. Good games, even if gameplay get rather repetitive after a while.

In my opinion, Bioware gave four jewels to video games player:

-Fallout

-Baldur's gate

-Planescape Torment

-KOTOR

Three among these were created by Black Isle - the most successful (en most dead)department of bioware - and they really added depth to the genre.

1-Fallout was the real first adult oriented ROG with a HUGE background and a nearly unlimited freedom.

2-Baldur's gate was the forst debbuged game that offer such a number of secondary quest and such a life time.

3-Planescape Torment is the only RPG I know which gives the opportunity to play the whole game like an adventure game reducing combat to its minimum.

Damn, I hope they'll bring more exceptionnal games like these

In my opinion, Bioware gave four jewels to video games player:

-Fallout

-Baldur's gate

-Planescape Torment

-KOTOR

Three among these were created by Black Isle - the most successful (en most dead)department of bioware - and they really added depth to the genre.

To my knowledge, Black Isle is.. *was* part of Interplay, and Bioware is a company on its own. And Baldur's Gate (including its sequel) was developed by Bioware.