Sign in to follow this  
General Fuzzy McBitty

Quest for Glory

The Quest for Glory games rock, and I've played through all of them several times. Oh, how I missed Sierra's quality adventure games.

A lot of people here should know about QfGII remake, since you all faithfully subscribe to Adventure Gamers Underground. Right? Right? Right?!?!?!

Ahem. Anyway, yeah, QfGII was already awesome, and Tierra's remake looks like being amazing. Shouldn't be long left either, given how long they've been working on it...

When I was playing through the series a few years back I half-loved it as a classic adventure series (with that RPG twist) that had somehow passed me by, but at the same time I got frustrated by a lot of the typical Sierra player-unfriendliness. The games had moments of fun but plenty of moments of tedium also. I think they're worthwhile for fans of the genre but don't exactly stand up to scrutiny today as truly great games.

My favourite was Quest For Glory II: Trial By Fire, but I couldn't get the fourth game to run, and people always say that's the best one.

It was me who send them to you, iirc, Simon (er, you are aka Gonzo, right?)

And yeah, IV is awesome if you can manage to play it without it crashing.

Quest for Glory 4 1/2 was sorta fun, albeit in a really crass and crude way. Pity it's almost impossible to get it to run anymore (it was made with DOS AGS, which makes it pretty hard to run on non-DOS or Windows 9x systems).

I quite enjoyed 5 even though everyone seems to bash on it. I tried to play 4 a few times but always got frustrated by the high number of bugs and the fact tha my game didn't have a mnual so I couldn't pass the little 'prove your ownership' tasks. Later I discovered that my CD version had both the patch and the copy protection key as files on the disk already. Now I'm just worried my ultra fast computer would be unhappy with the game.

Quest for Glory is... probably in the TOP-10 of the "crappiest Sierra-game ever" -list. :fart:

Have you actually played that many Sierra games?

As somebody who's played 95% of Sierra's adventures, my opinion is obviously far more relevant and correct than yours, and I think the Quest for Glory series was for the mostpart awesome.

My dad and my uncle Bob used to buy all the Sierra adventures between them, so I've watched and played little bits of most of them. Quest for Glory 1 however was one of the few I played through all by myself, and I loved it! It was going to be called Hero Quest until the last minute, but they changed it to avoid confusion with the Games Workshop board game Heroquest I think. I was a thief, but learnt 2/3 of the spells anyway because I never had time to play games more than once, so always tried to simultaneously play as many routes as possible in any given game.

I did have a go at the 2nd one too years later when uncle Bob actually gave me the game, and restarted it again a while later after finding my original 'end game' special save from the first game that let me use the same character again. I think the 2nd game was significantly bigger though, as I remember the city being massive, and getting the impression that I'd barely scratched the surface after about 20 hours or so (it was very slow loading every screen off the 5.25" discs on my 286 though). This was aeons ago though so if there's a remake in the works, I'll be eager to check it out, thanks for the news. (I'm thoroughly embarassed to say that I don't check any other forums at all, apart from PC-Hardware related stuff :innocent: )

It was released under the name Hero's Quest, too. They changed the name in the re-release.

Also, the feature which lets you save your character between the game, and so lets you play all the games with the same exact character is pretty neat. No other game in the world has that feature. No other game.

Are you serious? I'm wary of posting about old adventure games here, as I know there are hundreds of adventure related (online) discussions that have beaten to death and yet which are entirely new to me, but I'm sure there were others, no? I'm pretty sure the Eye of the Beholder Series let you use the same entire party from 1 to 2, and then 2 to 3 for example.

My dad and my uncle Bob used to buy all the Sierra adventures between them, so I've watched and played little bits of most of them. Quest for Glory 1 however was one of the few I played through all by myself, and I loved it! It was going to be called Hero Quest until the last minute, but they changed it to avoid confusion with the Games Workshop board game Heroquest I think. I was a thief, but learnt 2/3 of the spells anyway because I never had time to play games more than once, so always tried to simultaneously play as many routes as possible in any given game.

I did have a go at the 2nd one too years later when uncle Bob actually gave me the game, and restarted it again a while later after finding my original 'end game' special save from the first game that let me use the same character again. I think the 2nd game was significantly bigger though, as I remember the city being massive, and getting the impression that I'd barely scratched the surface after about 20 hours or so (it was very slow loading every screen off the 5.25" discs on my 286 though). This was aeons ago though so if there's a remake in the works, I'll be eager to check it out, thanks for the news. (I'm thoroughly embarassed to say that I don't check any other forums at all, apart from PC-Hardware related stuff :innocent: )

That was the great part of QG... you could combine the classes. I started as a fighter with lockpicking and magic. Since you can add new skills in every game I eventually got most of the skills.

It is possible to be both Paladin and the thieves guild boss in the last game.

My dad and my uncle Bob used to buy all the Sierra adventures between them...

Bob's not your uncle Edd. I know he may have seemed like an uncle at times but you have to let go and understand that he's just a friend.

Actually, I don't technically have an uncle Bob, since although his wife was called Kate, and their daughter is called Jane... their actual first names are/were John, Shirley, and Claudia respectively :hmph: True.