Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Three Moves Ahead 517: An Interview with Lou Coatney

Three Moves Ahead 517:

Three Moves Ahead 517

An Interveiew with Lou Coatney
The Winter of Wargaming begins with a trip down memory lane with Bruce and wargame designer Lou Coatney, whose career includes not just several great original print-and-play designs but also a robust set of fixes and "mods" to classic wargames. Bruce and Lou also discuss in detail the problems of getting Barbarossa and The Bulge "right" from a design and history standpoint. coatneyhistory.com/ lcoat.tripod.com/

Note: Since this episode was recorded, one of the designers discussed, Tom Russell, has come out as transgender. Please note that while he / him is used on the podcast, her correct pronouns are she / her.

Usually, I'm not into wargame episodes. I haven't played any tabletop wargames and in general, this hobby is not popular in Eastern Europe. So I rarely understand any references. Which of course doesn't mean those are bad episodes, just not for me.

But this talk going to the roots of the hobby and general ideas was great. Rob & Bruce talks added on top were a great addition too. Looking forward for more episodes like this.

A truly delightful episode.  While I’ve not been actively wargaming for years, this episode had me perusing Lou’s website for hours.  I haven’t yet had the fortitude to cut up and mount counters in Robot Barbarossa, but I did print things out and have been delving into the rules.

As a long-time Europa series follower, this also prompted me to take a look at Frank Chadwick’s Thunder in the East, which was entirely off my radar (I tend to look into Europa progress every 5 years or so...), so also thanks for that.

And lastly, the historical anecdotes made this episode well worth while.  Here’s hoping for more Winter of Wargaming episodes.  

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed it. I was a little hesitant to break it with the intro and commentary, but I think it came out ok.

Next interview will be with Dana Lombardy of Streets of Stalingrad fame. Very interesting discussion we had (at least for me).

Enjoyable interview! Makes me think more designers should move to new cities and countries to unlock new insights. :)