twmac

Movie Marathons

So, my girlfriend had only watched 2 Nicolas Cage movies before she met me and they were Captain Correlli's Mandolin and National Treasure. So, it made her think that he was basically terrible and not worth watching.

I didn't know this and on our first non-going out date a year ago, we watched Mandy, which she loved. We then watched Mom & Dad, which she also liked. Basically, very accommodating on my love of Nic Cage.

Well, after much talking we went on a 5 movie marathon:

Face/Off

Adaptation

Primal

Color out of Space

Lord of War

Adaptation she liked and thought he was fun, but the film was 30 minutes too long, which seems to be the point of the film, but also she is not wrong. She got very sad when

Spoiler

Donald Kaufman died.

Lord of War was also well received, but mainly because she liked Jared Leto, as she finds a lot of films based on grim real life stories piss her off.

Face/Off went down like a fire work in a John Woo movie. I love this film in both an ironic and unironic fashion, and she was super into it, but like she dug the acting in a genuine way with the two actors mimicking each other and she loved Travolta's Cage impersonation.

Primal was not great. Famke Jansen's plastic surgery is really saddening. Anyway, pretty dumb film that was entertaining but didn't live up to the promise of the premise (Snakes on a Plane, meets Under Siege, meets Nic Cage).

Color out of Space really pretty, creepy film, and Nic Cage is kind of perfect. My girlfriend then noted that Nic Cage almost seems incapable of playing a non asshole.

Anyway, this was just an excuse to talk about movie marathons and this forum is pretty dead right now, so I figured I'd post.

If anyone has fond movie marathons through a genre or actor's collection, please post here!

On 7/28/2020 at 3:08 PM, twmac said:

My girlfriend then noted that Nic Cage almost seems incapable of playing a non asshole.

I think that Adaptation is the main counterpoint to that observation, because Donald is so kind and patient and forgiving... but, of course, he's playing the foil to the anxious and caustic Charlie, so...

She actually thought Donald was kind of an asshole too. He says things, or asks things that make Charlie feel even worse, and he seems to do it deliberately.

Hmmm, what about Peggy Sue Got Married? This is a good opportunity to troll her, though - keep telling her you think you've found the one movie where he plays a non-asshole, then put on Vampire's Kiss or Wicker Man or Bad Lieutenant...

Bad Lieutenant was on the list as was Leaving Las Vegas. Leaving Las Vegas doesn't seem to be on digital stores, and I couldn't find a local copy of it on DVD or Blu Ray.

I guess he isn't an arsehole in Con Air?

I haven't seen Captain Corelli, but isn't he nice in that? And he's a goody in National Treasure, obviously. I wonder whether your girlfriend gets an asshole vibe off him even when he's playing ostensibly nice characters!

I think she has a deep seated hatred for both those films and Cage is the central focus of her ire.

I found out that Captain Correlli's Mandolin was the favourite film of one of her exes too, which sounds like a bad time.

He is barely in Rumble Fish so I wouldn't have recommended it.

Red Rock West was on the docket - but then Colour out of Space took over. I really need to rewatch Bringing out the Dead.

I did, I thought it was super fun!

We have now completed a series of other movie marathons since I posted this.

We did all of the Underworld movies, and by the 4th film I was told to shut up and stop laughing. We watched all of the Conjuring series and I was surprised by how cohesive all of the films were. The weakest in the lot is the first Anabelle film and even that isn't that bad. James Wan is a bit of whizz with the camera.

We've also done Fast & Furious and it was a delight to see my girlfriend become infuriated with Tokyo Drift.