rzbone

[Released] (I Know You're Having Fun But) I'm Still Working

The game is up at stillworking.me. It’s still got some placeholder audio in the intro, but I’ve inserted the dialog you would have heard as text. Give it a shot!

——————

A couple friends and I came up with the idea of a desktop simulator with two windows. One is where you're doing some kind of repetitive work, and the other is a twitch stream. The stream window occasionally moves and resizes itself, and you have to move it out of the way in order to keep working. We'd like to come up with some custom content for that twitch stream, maybe telling some kind of a story related to the work you're doing.

I have no idea how it'll turn out in the end, but you can follow along here!

I've got a very basic version up on heroku where you can "answer" "questions" while a stream plays (if the random streamer I picked is playing).

https://immense-retreat-08775.herokuapp.com

Edited by rzbone
Released!

Cool, this is kinda in the same vein as the game I started last jam (but never completed cause I suck at js) where you'd play a game over a Bon Appetit youtube video. I think there's a lot of potential for really interesting new gameplay around this kinda hybrid content, Twitch started going down the path with stuff like Stream Legends (which was a coop RPG you played with other people in a Twitch channel) but they sorta abandoned it for some reason.

We've pivoted our content to be solely based in the videos we have streamed. Instead of developing content for "work" we're going to use an iframe to bring in actual work you can do for these citizen science sites: https://instantwild.zsl.org/intro

I also found this js window manager that was really simple to get up and running to help us get our desktop simulator idea across.

https://github.com/davidfig/window-manager

Here's a gif showing off some of the interactions - opening windows, not being able to close the stream window, the stream window randomly moving and stealing focus.

desktop.gif

We've recorded our streams that we'll include in the game. I do feel like I have to put a minor warning that my friend did something kinda dumb at the end the Chip's Challenge stream, and a flash of a non-work safe website is visible. We'll be using a cut down version for the game, but you can get a preview of this stuff here: :  https://www.twitch.tv/caseyponey/videos.

On the programming side of things, I've added a title screen, intro questionnaire, and hooks for plugging in some audio we plan to record to play between questions. I've also changed some of the logic for moving around the streaming window so it moves and resizes independently. There might be other small fixes, but I've kind of lost track. 5e2538de7bf1d_ScreenShot2020-01-19at11_19_16PM.thumb.png.2e4a68159c6390dda381c091a5c848f2.png5e2538e0956fd_ScreenShot2020-01-19at11_19_43PM.thumb.png.922c1146adefa9caa1383571181ae516.png5e2538e74d2e9_ScreenShot2020-01-19at11_20_04PM.thumb.png.c7990e71bdefd401131dab675e583123.png

The main functionality is done and i've added a time limit to the thing so it has an end state. Now i've been adding some fun extra stuff - a text editor, trash directory, and chat app which plays back some text we're putting together.

apps.gif

11 hours ago, brendonsmall said:

This game is shaping up. So much delightful UI happening. Looking forward to playing this :D

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how things are turning out. To be honest I wasn't expecting to get so many little details in, but getting the polish in isn't so bad with a webpage.

The game now has a shitty wizard.

wizard.gif.af297d48bb80ff8e2ca4cfe9603e57cc.gif

I've also gotten chats to show up in individual windows

5e2d20987da56_ScreenShot2020-01-26at12_15_41AM.thumb.png.a253ad944e046b857b46817b8dedb2ad.png

So many tiny bits of polish, added an extremely bare bones browser window for in game links, updated some chat behavior, fixed an issue around scrolling, added some extra player interaction, some end game fixes, window styling and other surprises.