Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 405: Lords of Waterdeep

Three Moves Ahead 405:

Three Moves Ahead 405

Lords of Waterdeep
This week's Three Moves Ahead stretches the boundaries of the podcast medium to bring you LIVE audio via recording. Rob, Rowan, Fraser, and Troy "always a bardsmaid, never a bard" Goodfellow share their thoughts on the Steam port of Lords of Waterdeep while playing a game together. Lords of Waterdeep started as a popular worker placement board game and eventually made its way to mobile platforms. It recently arrived on the PC via Steam and quickly found a place in Fraser's heart. It's not a good place, but it's firmly embedded there. Like a valve blockage. EXPLICIT CONTENT WARNING: many curse words are uttered, even more than usual.

Lords of Waterdeep

That was a very nice work at the end by the Wizard in the end. Praise! Praise!

I still play Armello from time to time with friends and it looks like a boardgame properly developed to be played on PC in multiplayer. LoW does not, so I'll listen to Fraser here.

Is it bad that KnobCon looks interesting to me? ;)

Entertaining episode. I agree Lords of Waterdeep's a game that's best on the table. I have the opposite opinion about its length, though. It looks heavy but it plays in about half an evening, even with people who are taking their time due to socializing or not having played previously.

I enjoyed this format.  Hearing people react to the game seems like a helpful thing to add as long as the editing wasn't too much harder. 

Yeah, having a game going on while you talked seemed to work pretty well here.

I still can't help but hear "work replacement games" whenever 'worker placement' is said on a podcast and I think that goes all the way back to when the cardboard version of Lord of Waterdeep was first talked about on Gamers With Jobs.

Bravo Master Hermes, bravo!

I always moan about the difficulty of organizing a game night, and my lazyness in that regard. Perhaps I should give Lords of Waterdeep-Discord a shot!

The balance between having an interesting game to play and having something to help give a little structure for a fun evening with friends varies a lot depending on the friends. However as I've become lazier and older, in practice I've started to favour the more casual experiences. Even though I'd like to think I'd still enjoy Twilight Imperium, I'm not sure I actually would.