Sign in to follow this  
sclpls

Dunkirk

I saw Dunkirk in 70 mm last night, which was a real pleasure. I'm not a WWII buff so I can't comment on historical accuracy, or anything like that that people might ding the movie over, but as a film production I think it was masterful. I was most impressed with the scope of the film and how it contained itself by, for example, never showing the faces of the German forces. Equally impressive were the techniques used to create and sustain tension through the film.

1 hour ago, sclpls said:

never showing the faces of the German forces

This struck me too - can't think of another popular war movie with no clear antagonist

I will add about Dunkirk that I appreciated, even more in hindsight, how non-pathetic the movie was in its drama. Swaths of people die, horrible things happen, but it's never (save for one, relatively earned moment) played for tears.

And holy shit that record scratching soundtrack by Zimmer!

7 minutes ago, Roderick said:

record scratching soundtrack

What do you mean by this, Roderick?

It's a typical Hans Zimmer soundtrack in that he is constantly ramping up tension and he uses minimalist instruments in a percussive way (I am _terrible_ at explaining music). But for Dunkirk he employs something that sounds like an audio sample that he constantly, rhythmically breaks or 'scratches' to create this incredibly unnerving and tense effect. It feels additionally out of place because it's a little too modern for a WW2 setting. It's really something.