Synnah

[RELEASE] "Veggie" Panino and the Nightmare Puzzler

The game is finally finished!

EsBfohQ.png

Download on Itch.io!

Original Post:

Welcome to "Veggie" Panino's deli! You're the new kitchen hand and it's your first day on the job. But don't worry! Veggie's here to give you pointers and explain how to assemble the perfect "paninis". And if things get a weird, well, try not to worry about it too much. Just keep making "paninis"!

This title triggered an idea for a game almost immediately, and I thought it would be too dumb to flesh out into a full game until I thought about it some more, and got really excited about it. Basically it's a 3D block puzzle, where you must fit a selection of vegetables together on a panini base without gaps, and as you progress things will get weirder and weirder. I have hard time communicating exactly how it will play, but hopefully it will make sense once I've got a basic prototype running. I'm going to break from my tradition of spending the first week of the jam entirely on modelling and rigging, and start with the game systems. The biggest problems I'm going to have to solve are:

• Figuring out where to place things; you'll click on the vegetable you want to place, and then when you move the mouse over the panini a ghost image will show you where the vegetable will end up. I'm going to need to do screen-space raycasts to find the spot on the panini that is currently underneath the mouse, and then work out where on a grid that maps to. I imagine this will be straighforward enough when it's just the panini base, but it gets more complicated when there are vegetables on there.
  • Making a system for triggering various weird effects, and causing these to trigger at specific points in the levels. I think this should be easy enough, and I've got ideas for how to solve it already.

Progress has been slightly slow this weekend, but here's where I'm at:

evpVm1l.png

All placeholder items! A food-preparation table, a chopping board with a mushroom on it, and a panini to place the mushroom on.

RbntqOF.gif

This is my gameplay as it currently stands. Mousing over the mushroom will highlight it, you can click on it to select it, and then drag it over the panini.

Next up is to allow you to drop the mushroom, and then snap it to a 6x8 grid on the panini. I feel like I've got a bit of momentum now, at least!

You're the third person to comment that it looks photo-realistic, even though it's all just cubes and simple textures! I can't take credit for that, sadly, it's all Unreal Engine 4's lighting model. I'm aiming for super low-res textures, so I'm curious how they'll look with all that sweet ambient occlusion.

If you want some ambient "Biscuit" boxes, I have made a "Veggie" Panino's Veggie "Paninis" box a la Triscuit design for my game. Dot gobbler needs company in the Wizard Jam Asset Lore...haha.

I would very much like that! I'll find somewhere for it no problem.

Okay: I've implemented a grid system, and allowed you to place veg onto the panini and return it to the chopping board.

9BdEwlY.gif

The red box is a chilli. I swear these are going to look more like actual vegetables at some point. Next thing I need to do is start checking for overlaps, so you can't place veg inside existing veg, deal with placing veg on top of existing veg, and make a system for determining when a layer is completely full of veg.

6 hours ago, Synnah said:

I would very much like that! I'll find somewhere for it no problem.

Done and done! It's in the Wj5 shared assets thread ready for consumption!: 

6 hours ago, brendonsmall said:

Done and done! It's in the Wj5 shared assets thread ready for consumption!: 

Excellent, thanks!

I thought the rest of my vegetable-placement code would be a cinch, but I've been stuck on it for several days now; I took a break today and made some models, but I'm going to have to go back to it at some point. Snapping vegetables to a grid on the panini, and then placing them, was straightforward. However, determining where to place vegetables when you move the mouse over vegetables that are already on the panini was way more complicated than I was expecting. I'm pretty close to getting it working as intended, but there are just a few things that are going wrong, and trying to fix them was giving me a headache. So I made these:

fyOpHuG.png

Food preparation table!

DNrLhVq.png

Chopping board!

eUcxh1E.png

Panini! I spent a particularly long time assembling this texture out of photos of bread, and then I scaled it down to 128x128, so I could have been a lot less precise about it. I like it though! Going to make a start on some of the vegetables now, and maybe go back to the placement code after that.

I'm continuing to spend far too long on modelling, as a means of putting off going back to trying to get my placement code working. On the plus side, I've got these:

13Jnin3.png  h2QiGaC.png  wgRtABD.png

I'm really happy with this style. I haven't even started on "Veggie" himself, though. I've still got three vegetables left, which I'll get finished tomorrow, and then I can make a start on modelling, rigging and animating. The chances of getting all of that done before the end of Friday are really slim, but assuming I do then I've got Saturday and Sunday to cram the rest of the game in there.

Yeah, I don't have a chance. Fingers crossed for the weekend after!

Pfred2q.png

'It's me, "Veggie" Panino! Welcome to my kitchen.'

Okay, let's see how Unreal's automated physics asset looks...

v2luoF0.gif

I completely failed at getting the game into a playable state this weekend, and rather than submit something half-broken, I figure I'll hold off for the time being. I'd really like to have something ready for next weekend, but I'm going to be away from Friday, and I've got a bunch of other work that I need to do, so I'm not super-confident. I'll leave you with this, though:

BSXdDQa.gif

Oh god. That guy. Is my favorite guy!

And the game looks brill. I look forward to playing it whenever you get it done!

Hey! I'd hadn't forgotten about this. On the contrary, I've been working pretty hard on it in the month since the jam ended! I'll probably follow up with a post about why it's taken me so long, but for now, here is the game!

EsBfohQ.png

Download on Itch.io!

I never really got to implement the horror stuff that I wanted; hopefully Veggie himself is horrifying enough. There are a couple of bugs I hope to fix over the next week or so.

I really liked this game. I couldn't get passed the first level with a mushroom though. I tried all the combinations I could think of, but couldn't complete the puzzle

Also, 

Spoiler

having "Veggie" Panino come over and just throw the panini on the ground, then comment on how it was great and will make a happy customer was PERFECT. SOOO much better than having him eat them or put them on a tray or in a fridge or whatever. Just "*shove to ground* Really good work". Ahh *chef kiss*

Sorry you got stuck on that level! Did you realise that the onion fits on top of the mushroom? I feel like it's a little fiddly to get the game to place it on top correctly, so it might be easy to think it's not possible and give up.

I'm glad sweeping the completed panini onto the floor landed for you! That was one of the main ideas I initially had for the game, and the one that really sold the idea of a game presented by a horrifying muppet chef to me.

Thanks for playing!

EDIT: Oh I think I know where you might have got stuck; That's the first level where some of the vegetables remain in the basket; if you click on it, it'll move them to the chopping board so that you can use them. I figured that might be a problem, so my quick'n'cheap solution was to make the last vegetable to spawn a large one, so that you can see it through the holes in the basket! It may not have been enough.