keibo

[Dev Log] Fight Garbage with Garbage

Hey everyone!

I've decided that I am going to jam again this year and I have a pretty solid idea of what I want to do this time around too; it will hopefully also be more relevant to the title as well, my wizard jam 4 entry was an OK first attempt I guess considering I did everything minus the music. Live From the Past

Anyways, I'm going to make a game based on the Important if True 2: Fight Garbage with Garbage.

Pitch

Fight Garbage with Garbage is going to be a competitive garbage cleanup game, where you and another player have your plot of land on a single 3rd of the screen (Player 1 on the left, Player 2 on the right) and it is your duty to get rid of your garbage.

The garbage will be split into two types, recyclables and garbage, and it is your job to make sure you fill your recycling dumpster(tm) with as many recyclable items as possible before the timer runs out, while also keeping your plot of land as free from garbage in general as possible. To do that you need to use your garbage disposal cannon(GDC) to throw your unwanted garbage into the other players plot of land. The other player has to do the exact same thing.

Rules

There will be a time limit (say 60 seconds), and at regular intervals new items will spawn in the middle 3rd of the map and will slide to either plot at random.

The player is able to pick up items from their plot and either deposit it in the recycling dumpster or add it to the cannon as ammunition.

The GDC is on a rail that moves on the vertical axis only and it requires the player to mount it to move, aim and fire the garbage the player was holding. It will be possible to fire the garbage directly into the other players recycling, which causes a severe penalty to the player at the end of the round.

Thrown garbage can be blocked by either the GDC or the player themselves, which will be handy to block shots being aimed at the dumpster. Garbage that has fallen into the dumpster cannot be removed (might change).

At the end of the round, the dumpster items will be counted, giving points to each player for good items and deducting points for garbage found in the dumpster. Points will also be deducted for garbage and recyclables left on the plot. I fully expect players to end up with negative point scores at the end of rounds and I will l surely tweak this once I am actually in the thick of it...

Mockup

Bad Paint image is bad, but I think it more or less gets the point across of what I've been explaining above. P1 (blue square) is on the left and P2 (red square) is on the right, the center is a no-mans-land that spawns the items, players, have to pickup the items on the floor and make use of the appropriately. The Arrows represent the GDC of either player. The stars represent the recyclable item and the brown fart thing (it was a speech bubble I swear) represents the garbage.

593027e7235e1_Mockup.thumb.png.89f10d6bdbb112b13a6937477c17c85e.png

There will potentially be quite a bit of art assets to draw, which is going to be interesting to say the least as I am not terribly good at drawing but I definitely like to give it a go :). I will aim to make the game 2 player at first, but I will ideally like to do something AI related to allow you to play single player against the CPU. although I realize that the AI, might just be a dumb, pickup first item you see type of thing, but something cleverer would be nice...

Like last time, I will try and keep my progress going here as it keeps me motivated and makes me have to do something to show all of you, which I hope you'll enjoy! Thanks for reading all the way through! :D

This sounds like a good concept. I love arcadey games, so this is right up my alley.

Well I finally released this properly last night...

Unfortunately I was much more severely time constrained during this jam due to personal reasons than I would have hoped, however I did manage to get something up and running :)

Game is currently only 2-player only. I wanted to add some sort of CPU opponent, but again I just completely ran out of time. There are still some bugs with certain collision instances, but other than that it works well.

Here's the link if you wish to give it a spin. https://keibo.itch.io/fight-garbage-with-garbage

CoverArtFinal3.png.039c2cd86e3415c2f3fadcbdd61c360b.png

FightGarbageWithGarbage_2.thumb.png.7323f0429750b2da2d57581d245ffd88.png

FightGarbageWithGarbage.thumb.png.551d544e8197604f4f806af41e25c694.png