Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 395: Jack Greene

Three Moves Ahead 395:

Three Moves Ahead 395

Jack Greene
Dr. Bruce Geryk is back to host and talks to legendary game designer and author Jack Greene. Jack has contributed several seminal games over the years, such as Bismarck Second Edition, Iron Bottom Sound Third Edition, and Norway 1940. He tells Bruce about the old days of graphic design and publishing and lays down some practical knowledge about printing techniques.

Bismarck Second Edition, Iron Bottom Sound Third Edition, Norway 1940

This was fascinating.

It's amazing how you can look through the game collection and tell what era something was produced just by the quality of the printing. It's particularly amusing to see the early computer era when (janky) desktop publishing starts to eat traditional typesetting and printing from below, and then gradually gets better and better.

Are any of the older games discussed here available for sale any more, or are we in $1000-on-ebay territory?

4 hours ago, hexgrid said:

Are any of the older games discussed here available for sale any more, or are we in $1000-on-ebay territory?

Looks like most of the games mentioned (Destroyer Captain, Bismarck, Ironbottom Sound, Norway 1940), have used copies for sale on BoardGameGeek in the range of $40 or less.  Here's the BGG designer page listing his games: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/1144/jack-greene

Thanks 3MA for another interesting interview with an old-school wargame designer.  Looking forward to the next episode of Bruce Geryk's History of Cardboard Counter Manufacturing podcast.

I really enjoy these interviews. Bruce, would you consider forming a panel of wargame designers? I remember you talked to Volko Ruhnke and Mark Herman together once, but since they were co-designers they were speaking from similar experiences and perspectives.

Note that there is a current version of Ironbottom Sound available right now, and it's a beautiful update of the original.

http://stores.revolutiongames.us/iron-bottom-sound-iii/

1 minute ago, cornchip said:

I really enjoy these interviews. Bruce, would you consider forming a panel of wargame designers? I remember you talked to Volko Ruhnke and Mark Herman together once, but since they were co-designers they were speaking from similar experiences and perspectives.

It certainly would be interesting to have a group of designers talk as a panel - I'll look into it.  I can tell you right now the biggest problem would likely be scheduling.

Great episode and exactly what I was looking for after the Wild Weasel episode. Towards the end there was a mention of a Sino-Vietnam War 1979 game... but I couldn't quite make out the title... any chance someone knows what it is?

On 5/26/2017 at 4:41 AM, Patrick-CredibleHulk said:

Towards the end there was a mention of a Sino-Vietnam War 1979 game... but I couldn't quite make out the title... any chance someone knows what it is?

Battle of Caobang

I absolutely love listening to you talk with people who have been around for decades. Is fascinating and evocative in a way that makes me think of standing in the used book store browsing the stacks and chatting with an old timer.

Thank you for all of the effort. I always enjoy your episodes.