SiN

Prince of Persia : Warrior Within -- forum mini-preview

Well yes, OK, Persia is now Iran, rather than the country next to it, despite the fact that modern borders did not exist then. In terms of the great consumer public, my point still stands. Not that it was even meant that seriously. Sheeesh.

There's one of the nastiest bug ever in the demo. Whenever I fight the big giant guy, he manages to get stuck in a corner at some point and I can't deal damage to him then. So I have to kill myself (thank god that's possible) and restart. Has anybody got past that?

But I don't see how it is relevant if the prince has clothing in this style or that. Or if the style isn't exactly as in the previous game. If you read a series of books (or even just one), the characters don't necessarily stay the same throughout. So why must they in games?

I don't see anything wrong with the guy's post. Either way, he doesn't seem to be dragging it out, so let's just let it be.

I don't know about you guys, but the "light to dark" change is troubling me for some reason, I'm not saying the demo is bad or anything, but it's just...

I have the impression that Ubisoft has "sold" themself, jumped the shark, etc, etc... :shifty:

Let's hope I'm wrong becuase if not... In BG&E 2 Jade will wear a bikini use lots of deadly weapons with lots of exoplosions, death, blood and gore...

Like most of the "poplar" games out there... :bomb:

In other words it looks like a dark and gloomy game for angst teens who like to kill stuff... :frusty:

I really, really, hope I'm wrong... :erm:

Something interesting I found out just now... when you climb onto the big boss' back and hit him over the head, you can actually shift your position to avoid getting thrown off. There's more tactics involved than you'd initially think.

Finally killed that giant. It was perhaps the best part of the demo (except for the bug). I guess this might be a glimpse of what Wanda might be like to paly (except this was on a much smaller scale).

After the giant died, a gameplay movie was played and it definitely showed at least one bright & sunny level and puzzles like in the first game, and there were even new components to the puzzles. So I guess maybe it won't be as bad as the demo indicates. I hope there will be more interesting bosses to fight and that they will put save points close to the bosses (going through the part before the giant 15 times was NOT FUN).

Just finished the demo myself...

Tip: save up lots of sand

As Erkki said, the video you get after defeating the boss definitely shows promise in terms of variety of locations and gameplay. I did notice however that the goth bimbo appears again elsewhere in the game. Oh well, maybe she's more tolerable in the final game...

This demo aint so bad once you get used to it. If it was, I wouldn't have completed it 5 times already. The combat is definitely better than in SoT and the boss fights are the highlights of it. I hope there will be lots of bosses in the game.

And I hope that the boat level is an exception and the camera is controllable everywhere else.

And I don't really care that it's different (i.e. more combat focused) than the previous game, as long as it will be good. And it seems to be... The Godsmack song still sucks of course, as does the art director. But maybe he directs art well? So far I can't really say yes or no.

Now we can hope that PoP 6 will be focused on the puzzles and very little combat :)

I think the english voice-over contributes to 90% of the art director's lameness though. It probably sounds considerably better in the guy's own words.

The fact that he gave the character the same tattoos he himself has indicates that regardless of language he is clearly some degree of a wanker.

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. The camera does this extreme close up to his arm (several times over the course of the interview, I should add) and then switchse to a view of the Prince's arm, which sports the exact same not-Persian design.

Have you considered the possibility that he designed the tattoo for the Prince and then liked it enough to do it to himself? Although that's not as likely.

Really though, Chris, thats hardly a reason to not like a game.

If you want to point out where I indicated that would be a reason not to like the game, I'd be obliged. I think it's a fairly decent reason to not like the artistic director, though.

Have you considered the possibility that he designed the tattoo for the Prince and then liked it enough to do it to himself? Although that's not as likely.

It's possible I suppose. Either way it's in a style that isn't really fitting to the setting but rather seems to be what the guy sort of stereotypically associates with being ethnic and/or hardcore.

I'm not overwhelmed by the demo at all.

It doesn't seem like it will match up to the superiority of it's predecessor unfortunately, and ironically, it will sell more than Sands of Time as well, I should imagine.

I dunno, I'll play it again later, but it seemed quite glitchy, and less fundamentally sound as SOT.

Of course, what does a demo prove? It merely gives you a glimpse, and a tamper with the controls. This could well end up being a superior action game.

If I get it though, it'll be on X-Box!

If I get it though, it'll be on X-Box!

I meant by this, that I found the controls quite fiddly, and I'd imagine it would compliment a console better than it did the PC.