Sign in to follow this  
Marek

Battlestar Galactica (BSG) and spinoffs

There seems to be a new BSG thing:

A0ixAkA5bng

Apparently, after Caprica but before the series. Best thing about it being a prequel:

No mystical bollocks deus ex machina?

I dunno, distinct lack of All Along the Watchtower. I thought it was weird that the trailer is basically just the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trailer, but they replaced it with BSG scenes.

Apparently, after Caprica but before the series. Best thing about it being a prequel:

No mystical bollocks deus ex machina?

All that stuff worked for me!

Did you watch Caprica, then?

That *is* weird; I hadn't seen that trailer.

(Watched the first few episodes of Caprica and didn't enjoy it much. With the BSG series, I know that ending might have worked for some, but I thought

Starbuck being some kind of angel/mystical being was just utter, utter bollocks

. I'm usually pretty insensitive over that kind of thing, too).

The more I look at the new BSG trailer, that kind of editing for an established thing seems like pure nerd-bait, practically begging for someone to type a frame by frame analysis.

That *is* weird; I hadn't seen that trailer.

(Watched the first few episodes of Caprica and didn't enjoy it much. With the BSG series, I know that ending might have worked for some, but I thought

Starbuck being some kind of angel/mystical being was just utter, utter bollocks

. I'm usually pretty insensitive over that kind of thing, too).

The more I look at the new BSG trailer, that kind of editing for an established thing seems like pure nerd-bait, practically begging for someone to type a frame by frame analysis.

You're full of the joy of spring today, aren't you? :grin:

I can't watch that trailer: This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it on copyright grounds. :(

I still don't really know what I think of BSG. I appreciated the overall tone of it, but I spent almost my entire time being incredibly annoyed by at least one character, and not in a good way that's somehow arises out of strong characterisation and story-writing or whatever. There was a fair amount of good stuff in it, I don't think I have much interest in seeing any prequels.

Regarding the trailer itself, I thought it was pretty cheesy that they matched up the line about "ice and snow" with the first shot in the snowy and icy environment.

I have one joyful recommendation: 15 Storeys High just appeared on Netflix in the UK, and I hadn't heard of it before. It has Sean Lock in, is pretty weird, and I'm finding it very funny. In one episode, he buys canned

Puffin Chunks

:)

Yeah, it is pretty excellent. It originated in a very different Radio 4 series called 15 Minutes of Misery that I happened across when downloading Bill Bailey stuff at university. I enjoy that as well, but it's got a very different feel to it: there's a live audience who Locke addresses directly as a kind of in-character host, and the whole thing is more overtly whimsical. I'd say the TV series is certainly better. I believe there was also a radio series called 15 Stories High in-between the two, but I haven't been able to track that down, so I don't know what it's like.

I just recently watched BSG for the first time, quite enjoyed it. My only two major annoyances are

adama shaving his amazing mustache, and anders knowing all sorts of crap magically by being plugged into the ship

I don't really feel the need for more, and Syphilis already has canned that proposed Blood and Chrome series, but will apparently show the pilot that was produced and maybe do a terrible web series for it.

Hey, you know, as long as they can do more seasons of the phenomenally mediocre Warehouse 13 instead...!

Hey, you know, as long as they can do more seasons of the phenomenally mediocre Warehouse 13 instead...!

Or yet another syfy original movie!

Hey, I will fight you sir.

Hey! Warehouse 13 is better than it seems at first. It does silly extremely well, but suffers badly when it tries to do dramatic or apocalyptic. They've also done some really excellent things, like

H.G. Wells

being a woman

Warehouse 13 is pulp that is often quite poorly written. I'm almost done watching the third season and after that I'm stopping. It's just too middling, especially if you consider this show was more or less inspired by the awesome The Lost Room miniseries.

Where Warehouse 13 fails most is when there's any sense of tragedy or a 'moment' going on. The writing becomes so appalling I get embarrassed in front of the TV. It's a shame, because the characters can be fun, especially Artie, Pete and

H. G. Wells

. Another big complaint is the facility of all the artifacts. They're supposed to be these mysterious, cool things, but almost every one of them comes across as gimmicky and is used for storylines that would serve as B-plots in better procedural shows. I wish this show were better, it has a lot of potential!

Edited by Rodi

I'm making a third attempt at trying to watch the modern Battlestar Galactica, and I think it might be time to accept that I just really don't like anything about this show. The original I enjoy because it has the whole charm of being from the 70s plus it doesn't try to be anything besides fun. With this show there just isn't anything I like, but I keep hoping if I just watch 5-10 more episodes I'll get enough inertia to care about something in this show.

Finally finished watching Battlestar Galactica. I feel a little split on the last episode, and frankly the last season in general. I feel like the character endings were fairly satisfying, but the plot endings weren't.

Still, I'm glad I finally came back and watched the last season. It was surprising to me how much I enjoyed it again, given I stopped watching at season four because of a deep tiredness with the show. I still feel like I like that show best when it's the first couple of seasons and everything is screwed and they're constantly on the run and trying to figure things out. The tension between day-to-day practicalities/survival and their attempts at keeping their culture and ethics intact was always the solid core of the show, I think, and even persists somewhat in the later seasons.

If the writing of the last season or two felt a bit meandering and fluffy on a plot level, it was still pretty good on a scene level and the acting and built up characterisation held the whole thing together. Overall, BSG is still a great show and I thoroughly recommend it.