elvaq

Wizard Jam 4 Feedback

I didn't participate in this wizard jam, and I didn't complete our game from wizard jam 3 either... BUT knowing that I could fudge the deadline a little bit if I was absolutely screwed for time was what kept me going as long as I did! I just bit off way more than I could chew on that game :(

I think that knowledge - that if at the end you're still a tiny bit over your head, it'll be okay and you can still submit - is a positive that way out-shines any potential negative concerns, e.g. that someone will somehow exploit the looseness of the deadline rule. (I agree that it's a little cheesy to post stub entries for nonexistent games to the jam page though! Just finish late and then ask for permission to be added!)

I don't have a huge amount to say for myself other than this was, as usual, an awesome jam to participate in. So I'm going to respond to other things people have said.

Length/Being Late: I like that there’s kind of two soft deadlines of the 2 weeks and then the time at which the thumbs stream the games. When the worst thing that comes out of it is that people make their games cooler, I don’t feel like there’s any real issue. Unless there ever is a money/big incentive reward, in which case I imagine there could be two separate classes of jammer (competing/doing it for lulz) and we could deal with it that way.

Awards: If it’s awards that are completely meaningless and have no value so people (including me) don’t stress out about them, sure why not.

Getting Too Big: Something that could be considered is maybe teams/groups within the jam? So say if we have around 60 jammers again, three groups of 20 that are encouraged to at least (important note) comment and encourage within their groups would be cool. So you have a big jam (which is cool) but retain that close-knit feeling (which is cool).

Dot Gobbler: Is awesome.

7 hours ago, phill said:

Getting Too Big: Something that could be considered is maybe teams/groups within the jam? So say if we have around 60 jammers again, three groups of 20 that are encouraged to at least (important note) comment and encourage within their groups would be cool. So you have a big jam (which is cool) but retain that close-knit feeling (which is cool).

That is a pretty cool idea. They could also if they want split up some of the thematic stuff to keep it from being too pervasive, ie: Team Dot Gobbler, Team Hosts, Team Slyboots, what have you.Not set dogmatically at the beginning, but b/c those convos would be happening in smaller groups they would probably glom on to slightly different things from one another.

I'll also say that I literally had no idea Dot Gobbler was a thing this jam. I just started doodling on my new toy and the Dot Gobbler came out of the scratches and scribbles. I thought it was an amusing coincidence that Spenny's mid jam power move also starred the Dot Gobbler, and then learned it was in like EVERY GAME.

Which made me laugh even more.