atte

[Release] Bogost in the Shell

This is really good! I managed to get all three endings all by myself, but I seem to be good at games that most people find frustratingly obscure or unwieldy.

Ben, I couldn't figure out a way to screw up with the bottles, but for all I know it could be possible.

Thanks for playing and commenting! I will add some audiovisual feedback for the player when they try to figure out what is going on at the start of the arcade. Though it is meant to confuse to some extent: you can't see yourself (expect a tiny dot in the radar) and the commands are in a language you probably don't understand.

On 5.12.2016 at 10:50 PM, Henke said:

This game's got some SYSTEMS, man. So much complexity packed into such a tiny game.

Making the game, the main goal for me was to have lots of variety and details densely packed in distinct areas. My love of details felt a bit silly at times, like for example when crucial elements of the game were still missing and I felt it was absolutely necessary to make those tiny birds that fly off the BigGod before I can continue.

On 6.12.2016 at 0:56 PM, Ben X said:

This is gorgeous! Lovely graphics and audio, a rich world, nice cyberpunk presentation and really sweet simple little puzzles.

My only criticism is that, as far as I can tell, if you mess up with the bottles it's a dead end as they don't replenish.

Although I mainly consider myself as a visuals guy, this time I decided to focus on the audio much more than previously (well, WJ 1 & 2 games had no audio at all). I wanted to make atmospheric scenes and sound of course is a huge part of creating a mood.

That's a good point about the possibility of missing with the bottles (didn't test that thoroughly as it felt like surely one of them hits). I'll add couple more bottles and/or rearrange them.

15 hours ago, sergiocornaga said:

This is really good! I managed to get all three endings all by myself, but I seem to be good at games that most people find frustratingly obscure or unwieldy.

That secret ending stuff is nothing huge but I really like how it gives the game a little bit of extra depth and flavour.

Oh and that Bogost tweet was so funny and delightful surprise.