Sign in to follow this  
Vulpes Absurda

Two cars holding hands on a beach, a loving look shared between them (Forza Horizon 3)

9 hours ago, miffy495 said:

I got big into Recore recently, but should be back for more racing soon. The Horizon series isn't something I play intensely, but rather dip into as a break between other story-focused games. You'll be seeing me soon enough.

I saw you playing that and after trying the demo, I am really tempted to jump in and purchase it.

Performance is still kinda lousy on my PC, so I haven't been playing much recently. I'll definitely join the club though, I'm planning on playing through Mass Effect again so I'll be on my console more.

22 hours ago, twmac said:

I saw you playing that and after trying the demo, I am really tempted to jump in and purchase it.

It gets the most tentative recommendation I can ever give to something. To quote myself from a different thread:

On 13/11/2016 at 7:59 PM, miffy495 said:

I finished up Recore today. It really seems like a game that should be more popular with the Idle Thumbs community, to be honest. As a group, we seem to be drawn to the interesting but flawed games, and boy is this ever one of those. So much about it is so close to incredible, but always falls just a bit short. It's also completely unfinished. There is art on the cover and the disc of an entire type of robot buddy that didn't make it into the game, for example. This buddy has question-marked-out spots on 3 different menu screens, you can still collect parts for it, and there are entire "cut" dungeons that you can make your way to by Skyrim-ing around the environment that rely on using it. Seriously. It's such an obvious vacancy in the game that googling "Recore T8-NK" turns up conspiracy theories about its absence. Factor in that the critical path was less than 1/4th of my playtime (and I still felt like I didn't take that much time with the game) and that the final mission is about as long as everything else in the game up to that point (despite being mostly filler), and you have a decidedly "What the fuck why wasn't this given another year to become amazing?" game.

It's extra tragic because what is here and complete is really good. The combat is dynamic and fun, the buddies and their different styles and upgrade paths are varied and cool, the traversal is really fun (yay jetboots!). All of the fundamentals that make the game a game are great. Technical hiccoughs aside, it's fantastic to play. I just wish they'd actually got to make a full game.

I love it and hate it at the same time. It's super fun, but VERY flawed. If your tolerance for these things is high in the pursuit of interesting experiences, please try it. The more people do, the better chance they'll have a chance to make the game that this could have been in Recore 2. And yeah, there is of course a post-credits stinger that leaves room for one, so I'm going to hold out hope for at least a while.

I mean, Double Dash is objectively the best racing game ever made, so I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison. Horizon 3 is still pretty good.