Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Idle Weekend June 17, 2016: We Happy E3

Idle Weekend June 18, 2016:

950__header.jpg

We Happy E3

It's the big E3 show, with a roundup of the games that looked the most interesting at this year's massive industry trade show. But it's also a sober week, as we spend much of our mailbag time pondering the industry's reaction to the Orlando tragedy. It's two Big Topics for the price of one this weekend.

Dishonored 2, Prey, Xbox One S, Project Scorpion, Project Neo, Recore, Playstation VR, God of War, Farpoint, Gwent, Battlefront: An X-Wing Mission, Grow Up, Sea of Thieves, South Park: Fractured But Whole, Death Stranding, We Happy Few, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Battlefield 1, Steep, Watch Dogs 2, For Honor, Forza Horizon 3, Star Trek: Bridge Crew, The Last Guardian, Detroit: Become Human, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Resident Evil 7, Warcraft (film), Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir

I feel that while there has been a lot of reaction to Death Stranding on social media, much of it hasn't been very substantial, because the comments usually either amount to a variation of several question marks, or weird memes based on the weird stuff they showed off. I saw an article showing that the reaction to Zelda: Breath of the Wild was the largest, which is understandable since that game had way more stuff shown off than any other (and more time dedicated to it than everything else Nintendo showed off combined). I think I must have watched about 5 hours of Zelda gameplay at this point; most of it is just running around setting things on fire, but I've been enjoying that a lot. 

On WarCraft: there is actually a high profile Hong Kong actor in the movie, Daniel Wu playing Gul'Dan, but he was so heavily covered with makeup that you probably didn't realise the actor was Chinese. Still, WarCraft has enjoyed huge success in China, apparently making more money there than Star Wars: The Force Awakens, according to this BBC article: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36524703. I went to high school in Australia, but a lot of my friends are Asian, and a lot of us were definitely fans of WarCraft. I have yet to see the movie, but oh man, I remember us all talking about it about 8 years or so ago when it was first announced.

I really loved the discussion about the portrayal of the LGBT community in games in this episode

I'm not getting Rob's hate for Microsoft's "Project Scorpio."  As someone who plays games exclusively on PC, I'm always concerned that a console dominated industry will gimp games due to console hardware limitations or ship games exclusively on one console or just bad PC ports.  I'm also not sure how a windows store is really any worse than Ubisoft's UPlay or EA's Origin,   What I am noticing is that xbox games are going to be simultaneous windows 10 games and that sure seems positive from a PC-centric point of view.  It's a good thing that people are openly questioning the need for consoles at all these days, no? 

I think everyone is a little wary about Microsoft trying to meddle around and have a bigger footprint in PC gaming after the whole Games for Windows debacle.

Well they're doing GFW again, just with a different name. So I guess we'll see if people are more receptive.

They're definitely approaching it from a much better angle this time. Shared digital libraries across Xbone and Windows 10? Yes please! Just hope their Windows store isn't as fucked up as GFW was in the past. I haven't used it for anything, yet. Alternatively, just hope they allow Windows 10 store games to be available on Steam. I know a lot of people hate steam for various reasons, some even legit!, but man do I trust Valve infinitely more than Microsoft when it comes to this sort of thing.

I downloaded Killer Instinct and Forza since they're free, and it was a perfectly fine store/download experience. Universal Windows Platform games are actually really pleasant to use - alt-tabbing happens almost instantly, without the annoying flicker typical of Windows games. My current major complaint is that I can't find a way to add them to Steam as a non-Steam game, which means no usage on the Steam Link.

From what I understand, the possible problem with UWP is that non-Windows Store UWP apps/games could hypothetically have a scary "this app might be malware" screen, because they aren't signed by Microsoft. This dialogue/check is currently disabled, but you can understand how devs would be reticent about them with the possibility of that changing in a future Windows update.

You can minimize Big Picture when running over the Steam Link and just open the games directly from the Windows store.

It kills me that you had a prolonged discussion on "Sword dads" followed by a segment on Die by the Sword, all without a single mention of Dad by the Sword between them.  I mean it!  I'm dead.