Sign in to follow this  
cakedotavi

Thoughts on Ultrabooks?

Anyone have thoughts on good Ultrabooks?

I'm looking for something roughly $2000 CAD pre-tax, portable, good battery life, and capable of some light-weight gaming.

I'm currently looking at the XPS 13/15, the Surface Book, and the X1 Carbon/Yoga, but of course am keen to hear other suggestions!

I have a XPS13 that's almost 2 years old now, mainly because it's the only laptop which offers customer service for Linux machines. Other than eventually getting fairly hot and noisy when under a large load, I have no complaints at all, it's my main work machine (which involves some light simulation software) and was my only gaming option for about 6 months. It won't run anything very heavy, but it's a solid, well-built and beautiful machine. 

I have a XPS13 that's almost 2 years old now, mainly because it's the only laptop which offers customer service for Linux machines. Other than eventually getting fairly hot and noisy when under a large load, I have no complaints at all, it's my main work machine (which involves some light simulation software) and was my only gaming option for about 6 months. It won't run anything very heavy, but it's a solid, well-built and beautiful machine. 

Cool - I hear the new ones are a bit quieter and cooler so that sounds great.

Ended up going for an XPS 13 - can't wait for it to ship! :)

Lol, that was quick. The xps13 is pretty great. Very small for the screensize, and it performs well. My main thought on ultrabooks is that I'll never go back to a "regular" sized laptop. I never just carry around a laptop, so the extra bulk and weight for larger laptops is simply not worth it for me, and ultrabooks, while not powerhouses, are still quite capable machines for most tasks.

I have the current xps 13 and really like it. It's small and isn't so slow it's unusable like my old ThinkPad so I'm happy with it.

Did your Thinkpad have an SSD? That really makes most of the difference these days. I've been using my wife's old MacBook Pro after putting 8gb or ram and an SSD, and it's pretty fast. It's the 2009 model btw, with a Core 2 Duo if you remember those, lol.

Lol, that was quick. The xps13 is pretty great. Very small for the screensize, and it performs well. My main thought on ultrabooks is that I'll never go back to a "regular" sized laptop. I never just carry around a laptop, so the extra bulk and weight for larger laptops is simply not worth it for me, and ultrabooks, while not powerhouses, are still quite capable machines for most tasks.

Yeah I spent a few hours doing some research yesterday and it sounds like the XPS is pretty much universally praised as best-in-class right now, so I decided to go that route.

Thanks to all for your thoughts! I can't wait to give it a shot when it arrives :)