Sign in to follow this  
itsamoose

Society and Technology

We keep dipping into this type of thing in various threads, so I figured I'd start one to talk about the intersection of society and technology.  How one changes or informs the other, the results of these interactions, that kind of thing.

Are you angry at your ex?  Do you get a kick out of bullying people you know?  Are you still bitter about facebook removing the dislike button?  Do you enjoy denying the basic humanity of others? Well good news!  Starting in November, there's an app for that.  I don't think I need to elucidate all the ways this is terrible--they should be immediately apparent.  Part of me wants to chalk this up to some morbid curiousity, or perhaps this being the most recent way that capitalism can devalue people as just another type of commodity.  I don't like to discredit things that are controversial, mainly because in some far-fetched universe I can imagine a way something like this would be positive, but to be honest I can't imagine a way that a service like this could be used in a positive way.  I know I should try to be intellectual about this, but these types of things just inspire in me a rage that I don't think I could express objectively.

The dog-cloning thing pisses me off. But I eat cheese so my diet should be a personal priority if I want to take any action on this type of thing.

The Peeple thing is a fart in the wind.  This screen grab from their Facebook page is amazing.  I'd suggest reading through the Snopes dissection of the Peeple news.  It's like this whole thing was just engineered to go as viral as possible. 

post-33601-0-01959400-1443760899_thumb.png

ahh, ok.  Well I feel dumb if this turns out to be nonsense.  I saw so many posts about it that it seemed real.  Anyway, hopefully the topic is still useful.

Oh, I think the thread is useful. And it seems like the entire internet took peeple hook, line and sinker. So I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

My circles seem convinced that the creators are either pranksters absolutely committed to their art to the point of talking about the implementation, or they're incredibly clueless in a way that's totally believable for Silicon Valley. Either way, there's no real audience for this outside of idiots.

The dog-cloning thing pisses me off. But I eat cheese so my diet should be a personal priority if I want to take any action on this type of thing.

?

I came across this short documentary about dating in the modern world, this section focusing specifically on dating apps.

http://www.vice.com/video/mobile-love-industries-851?utm_source=homepage

What I find interesting about these apps is that they have essentially turned dating into something resembling a car buying experience. You are able to spend some time learning about the person (or as much as you can) then go on your test drive of sorts provided there is a fit. The video and other places have pointed out the reaction to this being some kind of end to romance, but I think the main difference between a site like Match and an app like Tinder is that the former uses the same romantic structure as in the past, whereas Tinder turns dating into a viable endgame. With a site like Match the stated intent is to go on dates in order to get married, whereas a Tinder user might go on dates just to go on dates.

In the extremely broad perspective, dating seem to have been deeply involved with property (gifts, union of families, women as property :x ) so maybe it was kinda to be expected but then again I'm speaking out of my ass with benefit of hindsight.

And it's a topic deeply rooted in sex-gender dynamics which I'm just more unaware of then others so I'll probably just mention this thought and hope to see others elaborate or correct me on this.