Sign in to follow this  
manny_c44

Okami, another interesting looking game...

Gameplay could go either way, but they have an undeniably cool art direction. Why does it seem only Japanese games have unique art direction while US games are either mediocre or just try to showcase efects and engines (like UT or Doom 3)? It always seems to me that Japanese developers know the boundaries and try to flesh out a world within a platform's technological constraints, while American companies always try to max a system out with geometry before realizing that it doesn't necessarily make a game look good--pushing boundaries before looking for possibilities inside the boundaries. This game is made by the Viewtiful Joe people and looks to have charming Zelda-like interactions with towns people.

Here's a nice screen shot:

okami_screen001.jpg

I've read about Okami. It's being made by Clover, a seperatist faction of Capcom, and they strive to make [visually] unique games. Of course, due to the high Japanese cultural influence on this title, it's doubtful if it will arrive in the west.

It had better arrive in the west. Something looking that cool me wanna play.

Be damned if i gotta get a japanese ps2 for 1 game :frusty:

The defintion of "Good Graphics" today seem to be "High polygon count", according to most companies. I'm glad to see some graphics that doesn't actually aim to be technically impressive, but to actually look good.

I think it will come to the US, I mean viewtiful joe came to the US and was one of the most succesful games of last years holiday season....that game is absolutely nuts. I think this game really leapfrogs VJ in style though.

Gameplay wise its supposed to be an action game, but seeing the newest trailer, it looks like there will be lots of sidequests and human interaction in this game. It actually seems alot like Zelda: WW in this newest trailer. I really hope its good.

Why does it seem only Japanese games have unique art direction while US games are either mediocre or just try to showcase efects and engines (like UT or Doom 3)? It always seems to me that Japanese developers know the boundaries and try to flesh out a world within a platform's technological constraints, while American companies always try to max a system out with geometry before realizing that it doesn't necessarily make a game look good--pushing boundaries before looking for possibilities inside the boundaries. This game is made by the Viewtiful Joe people and looks to have charming Zelda-like interactions with towns people.

This is console, UT/Doom3 are PC...

Still a true observation, since American console developers usually do the same thing.