melmer

UK Thumbs

Wish I could be there.

I honestly doubt there will ever be a Idle Thumbs, Thailand meet up

Last chance to join! We'll be at the Post Office Vaults tomorrow at 19h!

So this is a double question. On my way back from Morocco I have to change airports in the UK between Gatwick and Heathrow. I will be in London from 10/25 4:45 PM to 10/26 2:30 AM.

So question 1) Is there a best way to make this switch and ow long will switching airports take?

2) would it be worth going into London and getting a pint or something? I feel like ~9 hours is too long to just chill in airports.

Thanks!

I'm guessing most of us UK thumbs won't have had a reason to transfer between the two, but I'm pretty sure nine hours would easily leave you space for a few hours in London. Arriving at the airport more than two hours before your flight is excessive. That said, you'll need to bear in mind when the last trains are, since your latter flight is in the middle of the night. Also, London can be pretty expensive.

If you were to transfer directly, you could take a coach (e.g. National Express), which looks like it'll cost you about £20. Alternatively, you could take a taxi, which looks like it'd cost £50+.

If you wanted to stop off in London, I imagine you'd be better off taking the train. There's an express service from Gatwick to Victoria that takes 30 minutes and costs about £18, and another from Paddington to Heathrow that takes 15 minutes and costs £22 (there are also slower services for cheaper, if you prefer). You can catch the Tube from one to the other, and since they're both in Zone 1 it looks like it'd cost £12.10 for a travelcard, or £6.50 if you pay with an Oyster card, which is the contactless pay-as-you-go travel card in London.

All this said, I almost always get a cab or a lift to the airport, since I'm coming from home and the fares from here to Heathrow aren't too bad. So perhaps someone else can weigh in with some firmer advice, and maybe suggestions of things to do or good pubs? I don't actually go into town that often.