coughlinjon

[Release] Eyes of the G-Man

Yeah, it really is quite beautiful in its current state, also, quite tough to explain to my girlfriend what was going on.

Lol, I couldn't explain it to my girlfriend, either :) She played it late last night for the first time and left the room disturbed.

I haven't played Half Life so I've just discovered how I was probably incorrect in my assumption that the G Man is supposed to be a creepy stoic dude that never talks.

Christ, that's... disturbing. Well, that's one game I'll never show to my friend who hates spiders. Love the presentation - great use of cameras with the G-man's face! Was a little difficult to tell if I was actually having an effect at the start (wasn't sure if the crabs were dead or had attached themselves to me), but it's totally worth it for the moment when the eyes are filled with an endless sea of crabs... and brings the game to its knees. =)

--Rev

Christ, that's... disturbing. Well, that's one game I'll never show to my friend who hates spiders. Love the presentation - great use of cameras with the G-man's face! Was a little difficult to tell if I was actually having an effect at the start (wasn't sure if the crabs were dead or had attached themselves to me), but it's totally worth it for the moment when the eyes are filled with an endless sea of crabs... and brings the game to its knees. =)

--Rev

Thanks for playing! I'm working on the game right now - adding a title sequence and some of the G-Man monologue. I need to find a good way to communicate to the player that they have control of Gordon. I think adding a floor texture to the "reflection" would help, so when you WASD around you can see that you're actually running, even though your character stays mostly glued to the same spot on the big face. Also, I want to animate the G-Man eyes, I think that would also help teach people that they have control of the little guy.

I'll post in the forums when I've uploaded incremental builds, and I might change it to a browser build to streamline the download process.

Hey, the update's fun. I dug the effort you put into the speeches - the cadence and diction is certainly in-character for the G-Man, though the audio mix was a bit off (found it very hard to make out the G-Man's words at times against the background).

Nice to have an ending, though! Given the size of this assignment, I'm starting to get the feeling that the G-Man has begun to defrost Freeman for increasingly frivolous reasons... "Gordon, overthrow this regime." "Gordon, clear out this headcrab infestation." "Gordon, make me kippers on toast." ... =)

Either way, nice work - see you on the forums!

--Rev

Given the size of this assignment, I'm starting to get the feeling that the G-Man has begun to defrost Freeman for increasingly frivolous reasons... "Gordon, overthrow this regime." "Gordon, clear out this headcrab infestation." "Gordon, make me kippers on toast."

Ha! I originally wrote and recorded that script in 15 minutes when I was scrambling to get voice audio for the game. Now that I have actually implemented it and have no deadline, I'm planning to rewrite and record something with more direction. My hope was always to make this seem like a frivolous request, more for G-Man entertainment than world changing assistance, so I might run with your idea and make his motivations over the top trivial.

Glad you played the web build :)

"...right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the... worrrlldd. I've just got this itching between my shoulderblades and I can't... quite... reach it? Would you? Awwwhh, oh, thanks, bliss, right, back in the freezer with you."

--Rev