Chris

Idle Thumbs Steam group and ID exchange

We've got stickied networking threads for all the current home console online services, but not for the only one that actually includes an Idle Thumbs group, Steam. So here it is!

The official Idle Thumbs Steam group:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IdleThumbs

It's an open group, so anyone should be able to join up immediately. Assuming there is no bizarre abuse, it will stay that way.

People should also feel free to share their Steam IDs in this thread directly if they'd like. Here's mine:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/chrisremo

I have no idea what my steam community ID is. I can't find my profile. Obviously I have a steam account, and there is a page for that profile, but the actual community ID seems to be something slightly different. There is however no indication of how to get one from the other. No indication at all.

Wow, this is just like the early days of steam all over again, when you had to work stuff out by trial and error.

Fuck it, if they can't make it usable then I'm not going to bother using it.

Click on the Community Tab, go to View My Profile and your community ID link is displayed at the top in the URL bar.

Although having just looked at yours, you don't have one so I guess you have to set it up by editing your profile :)

ooh, you're playing desktop.ini? is it any good?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cigol

I have no idea what my steam community ID is. I can't find my profile. Obviously I have a steam account, and there is a page for that profile, but the actual community ID seems to be something slightly different. There is however no indication of how to get one from the other. No indication at all.

Wow, this is just like the early days of steam all over again, when you had to work stuff out by trial and error.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970446024

Rolls right off the tongue...

You can set a string different than your actual username to be the unique portion of your community page URL. It's a bit silly to have multiple accounts for a single system (NAMING NO NAMES KONAMI ID), but at least it allows me to almost completely hide the username a friend signed me up for Steam with when I was without Internet (he put a number at the end, which is something I'm irrationally averse to).

You can set a string different than your actual username to be the unique portion of your community page URL. It's a bit silly to have multiple accounts for a single system (NAMING NO NAMES KONAMI ID), but at least it allows me to almost completely hide the username a friend signed me up for Steam with when I was without Internet (he put a number at the end, which is something I'm irrationally averse to).

I get that, but how do you get the different string?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Skratche/

I feel like I've done this before...

I get that, but how do you get the different string?

Assuming you've steam opened up, go to your community tab, select edit my profile on the right side.

On the page that opens up, you should see an entry named "custom URL" where you can change the string to what you find most appropriate.

I should say, it wasn't easy for me to figure this out the first time, as well. A whole lot trial and error and viola, now it's like I have two usernames...one for logging in and one for the community.

Balls... unlike Xbox.com, you can't add people to your friends list using the Steam Community website. Ever so slightly annoying.

Balls... unlike Xbox.com, you can't add people to your friends list using the Steam Community website. Ever so slightly annoying.

Well you can, but it looks like Steam has to be installed on the computer. So the website is just a front-end. Which is pretty dumb. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I'm going to dismiss its validity out of hand.

Well you can, but it looks like Steam has to be installed on the computer. So the website is just a front-end. Which is pretty dumb. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I'm going to dismiss its validity out of hand.

...ergo, you can't modify your Steam Community data - at least not your friends list - on the website. :mock:

You said that you can't add friends using the website. You can use the website to add friends. You can't add friends using the website alone.

ARGH WHY AM I BEING DELIBERATELY DIFFICULT?