Merus

Guild Wars 2

I usually play around this time at night, although I'm trying to play earlier because sometimes I either don't go to bed at a reasonable hour, or I don't get to play at all.

i was on a deep GW2 binge, and i'm trying to scale back to focus on some other games, so i've been mostly playing for about 30-40 minutes a night, usually around reset which is now 8PM east coast american time. 

i really like the idea of unlocking the top tier traits with world events, though of my alts, only the ranger seems to use those (RtW).

have you guys seen this? i like this site for easy build answers. they have stuff for every area of the game(dungeon, open world, wvw, pvp, world bosses): http://metabattle.com/

I've seen metabattle, there's been some concern over whether the ratings are actually legitimate. I'm an engineer main, and Wolfineer's guides are stunningly comprehensive.

Big patch today; mostly nice quality of life things (lots of camera options, some minor but satisfying UI tweaks, no longer take falling damage going down inclines), and a change to stability which will probably only affect WvW.

Unlocking traits by completing events is actually really controversial - I like how it disconnects traits from stat increases, but I know I'm in the minority. In the expansion, apparently, trait unlocks are going away; big world events will give mastery points instead, which unlock new abilities that are then earned by XP. (Similarly, gaining skill points at max level is also going away.)

I'm in favor of anything that gives people reason to revisit any open world content, and those unlocked traits were in addition to the old top tier traits. Which for almost every class is still the best, I guess Turret engis use that turret boon one. I think that considered reuse of the world is a core success of GW2, how well they considered that stuff.

The skill point thing is going away at 80? I guess for new stuff? Urgh. Most of the cooler weapon skins (that aren't Black Lion items) require skill point items though, same with the legendaries. I was planning on wrapping up Fortune & Mastery so I would only needing to focus on the specific gift and new precursor track. Fortune requires 200 sps. Ack! Do I buy the shard now? If the new legendaries require all new gift parts I will feel dumb. 

The stability thing seems like a boon to PvP stability, but if they haven't changed times I guess it's a paper nerf? Like 5 stacks of stability for 3 seconds vs what amounts to unlimited stability for 3 seconds? I couldn't get a win on my Guard last night, but that was me more getting bit by the daily thing. almost every team I was on was a 2 necro team.

I like Meta as a "common wisdom" tool, which is kind of what I want. I agree with the Metabattle assessment of the Turreteer. I run Cele Rifle. 

Apparently skill points from champ bags will be more likely come the expansion, but I'm non-plussed that a system that made XP useful at max-level (to a degree; skill point conversions aren't usually profitable) is being replaced by a system that has a cap on the amount of XP a character can usefully gain. I'd be delighted if they address that with a perpetual mastery track.

for skill point conversions, I've made some respectable if a little slow coin upgrading T5 to T6 though that is a bit more gamble, and upgrading to lodestones for the purpose of rune crafting.

i never quite figured out the flipping market. 

T1 to T2 conversions are usually more profitable per skill point, and it's usually better to sell upgraded lodestones rather than crafting runes with them. The Heat Stone recipe was a godsend for that market - it's been six months and there's no more money in Heat Stones, but destroyer and onyx lodestones are still worth a gold each.

Edit: here's an automatic calculator for how much you can make with skill points. I used to do skill point conversions a lot - these days I craft Zojja's insignias, which have a delicious profit margin because they use dark matter (which I have too much of) and damask (which is one of the easiest ways to make decent money crafting).

That chart is neat. It's not huge, but Sigil's of Strength has a little bit better margin than just the lode. That chart would be like 44 for the 2 lodes, but I can do almost 1g profit in the sigil, and if I'm actively playing I can unload 40 of them slowly.

Is the margin better on Zojja than just unloading the damask? I think I tried doing insigs, but I get impatient if things don't move quick.

The heat lamps were sweet! I still do a piquant plate, because it's a free ~50+s every day and it always sells in seconds.

Yeah, you get about 6g on average for Zojja's, while the profit on damask is about a gold, although the damask market is a lot less profitable than it used to be. The key is that Zojja's not profitable if you buy damask because of the fees, but if you make damask, you'll avoid half the fees, which goes right into your pocket. You want to pick your moment, though; Zojja's insignias aren't worth much right now, and the silk market is unstable.

So, beyond strategizing for maximum trading post yield, does anybody want to try and get together as a FORUM GUILD and run some stuff on a consistent basis? Like Wednesday nights or something? Would it be possible to organize something, or are our time zones too wacky?

like 10 PM EST? what is that? like next thursday morning for Merus? 

Hey, who's JosiePosie?

Hey, who's JosiePosie?

That's my girlfriend, I sent the invite a few days ago I think. She listens to the cast as well, but doesn't have a forum account. She's usually on her Thief when we both have time to play.

Alright, we should have a guild stash! Everyone should have full access to it, so feel free to put things in, take things out, what have you. I figure the risk of everything being swiped is pretty low.

10PM EST is apparently middle of the next day for me, so keep that in mind if you want to include me. I think some guild dungeon runs or Silverwastes defences would be great; I doubt we'll be able to do guild missions (or even unlock it) but doing stuff together is why you have guilds.

Oh, that reminds me: current word from ArenaNet is to not do Chapter 6 onwards of the story (specifically, anything after the mission where you go into a vision with Traherne at the Pale Tree). Past that point, the story's kind of a mess right now, and they're currently re-recording some dialogue and fixing up those story missions so they make sense. Part of those changes will be restoring a storyline that was in at launch but was cut when they moved everything into chapters. They expect to be done in about a month, and everything scales anyway so you can wait until level 80 to finish it.

I don't know if that means that the story will be any good - the Orr invasion is pretty shoddily written, a victim of ArenaNet's pre-launch structure where the writing team acted as editors for content designers and only actually wrote open-world NPC conversations.

There must be something wrong with me, as I didn't notice a significant difference. I kind of liked Caithe's descent better than the stuff that came before it. 

Also, kind of hard to make an announcement like that with all the stuff in game that requires you to complete all the parts at least TWICE. 

There must be something wrong with me, as I didn't notice a significant difference. I kind of liked Caithe's descent better than the stuff that came before it. 

Also, kind of hard to make an announcement like that with all the stuff in game that requires you to complete all the parts at least TWICE. 

Oh, the personal story, not Living World Season 2. The Orr invasion in the personal story got separated out into 'cleanse Orr' and 'attack Zhaitan', but they didn't move anything, so you're airlifted into Orr missions with characters who you're introduced to later on, who then act as if it's the first time they met you. The 'greatest fear' storyline was cut entirely, possibly because they were bad, and they're going to be restored with some minor rewrites.

10PM EST is apparently middle of the next day for me, so keep that in mind if you want to include me. I think some guild dungeon runs or Silverwastes defences would be great; I doubt we'll be able to do guild missions (or even unlock it) but doing stuff together is why you have guilds.

Was just introduced to Silverwastes last night and had a blast. Seemed like we had a pretty good map population and everything went smoothly. Holy shit I've never opened so many loot bags.

It sounds like if we all want to group together, weekends would be prime time to do so. Friday / Saturday nights would be Saturday / Sunday afternoons for Merus. If people are free, maybe we could shoot for a dungeon run or two then?

I don't think I've had a free weekend in months, but we might be able to knock something together for this weekend depending on what my dad decides to do for his birthday; it's also the state election, so neither of us are inclined to travel. I wouldn't mind doing a dungeon or showing people some jumping puzzles and secret places.

So I'm trying to decide what guild upgrade to go for, so I thought I'd ask others. There's three choices I can spend our influence on - unlocking the guild armourer, which lets people buy armor with the guild logo on it, including back items (useful if you don't want to craft); guild bounty training, which lets us spawn a champion somewhere in the map that we can kill for influence (which lets us unlock other things faster); or unlocking passive bonuses, which we can turn on over the weekends (although they cost influence to make, and only a few of them actually give influence back).

How large are people's main guilds? I'm in a decently sized one that prefers members rep 75% of the time, we have all the perks/guild missions.  

I'd also love to help people run some stuff, whether it's Silverwastes, or dungeons. I'm still a few paths short of Dungeon Master.

I don't have a strong opinion about guild management stuff, but I'm inclined towards passive bonus like Magic Find and Karma boosting. The guild logo stuff is totally fun, but I always wind up using seasonal/ascended backs. 

I'm available this weekend! Let's do something Friday night (US time), depending on how many we get. We might do dungeons, or see the coolest of sights, or help newbies get traits, or hold a fort in the Silverwastes. But we are doing something together, a whole hand of Thumbs wait that metaphor doesn't work

Even though my Friday is unfortunately limited and I'm out of town with a laptop, god dammit I'm going to try to be online. Let's do this.

So did anyone manage to grab a beta portal?

Is there some kind of Hall of Heroes equivalent in this? I find that part of GW 1 being what I think about most these days.

Not really. The PvP side isn't nearly as robust as GW1's. There are individual matches and external tournaments, but nothing in between. (It seems like they want to implement SC2-style leagues, instead.)

On the other hand, GW1 wasn't capable of doing anything like WvW, either, so swings and roundabouts.

Hmm, ok. 

I don't know, but there was something very special about the King of the Hill-structure of the Hall of Heroes that really sold me on that format. It's the only competitive multiplayer I ever poured any effort what-so-ever into (Though the few GvG bouts I was involved in were fun as well). I wonder if it was something as simple as the progression from one map to the next that made it so cool at the time... That every game you and your team emerged victorious from was so clearly marked as progress toward the PvP map that only the best got to see.

I remember it being so cool... Until IWAY became a thing and I fell so far behind in Fame that I could not find any teams anymore. Which kind of sucked :P