Sign in to follow this  
Polish Hill

Amsterdam/Brussels

Hi Everyone,

This is perhaps not the forum for this type of thing so please ignore if I'm off base, but I figure it would be foolish to not at least ask considering some of the global citizens and well-traveled folks here.  My wife and I are heading to Amsterdam and Brussels in April and were wondering if you all had suggestions for places or things to see in particular.  

Other than the Anne Frank House and hopefully an AFC Ajax game our itinerary is relatively empty.  We've got 6 days in each so if you've been to cool places or know of any, I'd greatly appreciate any ideas.

You should probably visit the Rijksmuseum, which is huge and filled with interesting, beautiful things.

If you like good Thai food, a walking distance from Amsterdam Central Station is a place called O-Cha. The place is tiny and you can only pay with cash. A meal there is going to set you back about 10 or 11 euro's and it's going to be delicious. You won't regret it. If you decide to go there, you might want to go a bit earlier, as i've heard it's pretty much packed after 6-7PM.

The Rijksmuseum is kind of a prerequisite unless you really hate museums.

Trips to these two countries/cities has, for me, often been about the food and drink. Great beers, great fries, waffles, pancakes, chocolate, and so on. Check Tripadvisor, Foursquare and so on, because there's usually something great just around the corner from you.

-If you're into beer at all, Delirium in Brussels is a must see.

-There's a great sandwhich place in Amsterdam called Singel 404. It's cheap, but so good. Try to avoid the rush hours because it fills up with students.

-If you like Franco-Belgian comics, theres the comic book museum in Brussels.

-You've probably already planned this, but make sure you take a canal boat cruise in Amsterdam.

-Same as above, but the walk through the Red Light District is one you should take, as it's fascinating. Probably do this in the daylight, though.

In both of these cities, a good plan is actually no plan. Make sure you have ample time in both to just wander around and see what you find.

-Same as above, but the walk through the Red Light District is one you should take, as it's fascinating. Probably do this in the daylight, though.

Why? It sounds like it is well lit.

You should rent bikes and cycle everywhere in Amsterdam. But not into a canal.