Sign in to follow this  
Ben

Call to Thumbs: Rise of Nations

Avast ye scurvy dawgs!

Ol' Cap'n Marek be writing a review ya see, a review of Rise of Nations - a mighty fine re-view if i do says so meself - and, well, i be wondering...how's about some of you jolly piratical laddies that have played this here game give us some comments about what yer all thought about it...lest you end op in ol' Davy Jones locker.

C'mon me beauties...what'd you say? Do it smartly now lasses and i'll steal yer all some grog!

Hey guys, any of you who have played Rise of Nations, what did you think of it? What sucked, what ruled, what "truly made your blood boil?" How did it relate to your favorite and least favorite strategy games that aren't Rise of Nations?

Tell us, we'll listen to you.

Ah, go ahead and steal my ideas.

The concept of RoN is to make a RTS that has the feel of Turn Based Strategy, meaning that you feel like you are the head of a huge nation conquering the world, controlling it from it’s formation to it’s inevitable downfall or rule of the world. And at that it mostly succeeds, except the parts of the game that go back to the usual resource management and fighting of every outer RTS. The game tries to make these RTS standards feel like controlling a nation, and with things like different nations with different gameplay feel and a evolving time-frame it almost works, but the reality is that the game is on a set path to becoming a modern nation with new ways to blow the other nation up. But the game includes enough strategy complexity to make it fun to play, it’s just not a revolution on the RTS.

But the game does come close to a revolution, and if the sequel includes the following it may be a classic:

- You know in civilization (or maybe only in Alpha Centari, the only one in the series I played) when you go into diplomacy with different nations it really felt like you were conversing with them, and had more options than asking for resources and state of alliance? Put that in this game, or at least the Play the World mode, and I definitely would like it better. You may be able to have a pause in the game where you could do the diplomacy, and doing it too often with a person would annoy them.

- How about other cinematic things and a story? Actually it was put that in the expansion so good job.

- City governors?

- Generals with different personalities?

- Rebellions and other cool random events, but not too often and too cheap?

All those things would make the game feel like what it originally set out to do, give the player an experience like he is the ruler of a nation.

Edit: Sweet, I got into the article! My rise to fame has begun!

Rise of Nations is a fun game. You can build nice size armies, and really get in some crazy battles. I would have liked to have seen more futureistic units but o well. That said this game is not really my cup of tea-yes i said cup of tea, wanna fight about it!- but if i were to give it a score out of 10 i would give it a 8.

I downloaded the demo too. After saying that it had updated my system files and needed to restart my PC, I let it have its way...

My PC hung whilst still shutting down (the first hang since installing Windows). After all the usual messages, the monitor turned off but the HDD LED on the case remained steadily on (though my PC was perfectly silent). After waiting a minute, I pressed the reset switch. My CD/DVD-ROM drives spluttered into life for a second or 2, but to all intents and purposes the PC remained hung. After turning the PSU off for 10s, I tried to boot up again. Oh, joy!! The CMOS has magically lost ALL my BIOS settings!!! After re-setting them all, I booted into Windows, checked everything was ok, and rebooted again just to be sure. Double joy!! After about 10 reboots and even re-flashing my :cens0r: BIOS, I concluded that my motherboard had completely lost the ability to remember any BIOS settings whatsoever. "CMOS checksum error" messages-a-bungo. Which, seeing as for some reason, the motherboard thinks that my AthlonXP 2400+ is actually an 1800+, is just bloody great :frusty:

My mobo only came out this year, so the CMOS battery should have several years left in it, not what I needed after midnight on a Sunday. After a fruitless search on the 'net, I decided to uninstall the demo and perform a system restore, just in case it really was the 'Rise of Nations' that was responsible. Surprise, surprise, (Le)chuck, everything is now fine again. I still don't have a damn clue why the demo fuxored my mobo, and I ain't about to experiment with it. In fact, if I ever see that file again, I'll most likely just shit myself on the spot.

Bottom line: don't do it! It's evil, and it wants to eat your PC.