Sign in to follow this  
filk

Morrowind

That is still so weird to me. Back when it was released I was completely floored by how Morrowind looked, and the reason is simple. Before Morrowind, Western RPG's looked like this:

279434-mightan8_001.jpg

(This is Might & Magic 8 from the year 2000.)

Then came Morrowind:

morrowind9.jpg

I think you won't have a hard time appreciating the difference, even if the graphics have aged. To this day, I still don't think Morrowind is ugly. It's atmospheric, detailed, rich and coherent in design. (Okay, the faces are... well, not as bad as Dark Souls'.)

That is still so weird to me. Back when it was released I was completely floored by how Morrowind looked, and the reason is simple. Before Morrowind, Western RPG's looked like this:

279434-mightan8_001.jpg

(This is Might & Magic 8 from the year 2000.)

2000-2002 is a huge difference. (Also, Might & Magic looks quite bad for a 2000 game, Redguard from 1998, although more action adventure, was already using 3D models).

In late 2000 skeletal meshes became mainstream (although games like Alone in the Dark have been using it since 1993).

However, Morrowind was really state of the art. There were no continuous open world games at that time. Especially not with the fidelity of Morrowind. (also not with the unstability and performance)

Compared to other 2002 games, Morrowind's character models were noticeably behind the curve, but it made up ground by having such vibrant and detailed environments.

Also, at the time, that pixel shader water just floored me. Heh.

Yeah who knows, in 2002 I was also in my early 20s and therefore kind of an idiot. I really may install that mod and give this game a go, but I have a few other games I want to get through first.

God this thread is really making me want to reinstall and play Morrowind. I played it originally when Oblivion came out because I didn't have a console at the time, and the PC my family had was in no way capable of playing it at that time. (Oblivion came out when I was in 7th grade, which probably makes me a baby around these parts). I hadn't played anything like it before and it blew my mind. May have to reinstall it with mods