Chris

Idle Thumbs 152: Piercing the Fourth Dimension

Idle Thumbs 152:

526__header.jpg

Piercing the Fourth Dimension

A transmedia romp through news, media and literacy. What does it mean to be a child? What power lies within a joke? Weaving in and out of cast and criticism, we explore the true fourth dimension of video games: ourselves. With friend, fighter, reviewer, and cast regular Danielle Riendeau.

Things Discussed: South Park: The Stick of Truth, Escape Goat 2, Threes, 2048, Doge 2048, Comedy, SF Political Shenanigans, The Balboa Theater

Yay, I love long episodes. Also, Danielle!

Re: shitty cliches - I never want to see a hand close the eyes of a newly dead person ever again.

Just started listening, but glad to hear that Danielle finally got a podcast nickname. Great to have you, Junior Mints.

I wonder what would happen if someone told Danielle she had to go an entire podcast without bringing up any identity politics or social justice warrior garbage

You have to be fucking kidding me. Weren't you also complaining about the same thing about the last time Danielle was on? Give it up dude, the kind of shit you're saying doesn't bode well in this community or the people who run this site. 

I wonder what would happen if someone told Danielle she had to go an entire podcast without bringing up any identity politics or social justice warrior garbage

Nothing would happen because she wouldn't give a shit.

Interesting that you guys were talking about local politics, since my desire to be involved in local politics has increased quite a bit once it was revealed that my mayor is a crack-smoking alcoholic with mob connections.

What would it take to make Danielle a regular host of the podcast? She's awesome. (I think I said basically the same thing last time she was on, but well whatever.)

I wish Danielle took Nick's position when he's not on. Alternating between her and Nick would be great, or have them both on! Even better. 

Hey guys!
If anyone's interested in the Public Domain Jam, it's hosted here.
I posted it the game jams thread when the jam was announced. If you want to know why I started this up and how important Public Domain is to games, go listen to Chris and Zach in ep 130
If anyone has questions about it, feel free! There's a big update to that page that I'm writing up, including answers to a whole bunch of questions, so the more I can find out now, the more I can add to it (the most common one is "is it okay to use Sherlock Holmes?" - the answer is "maybe, depending on where you live.").

Some other common questions:
Does the game I make have to be Public Domain as well? - No, but we're adding a special category for games that DO release their source under a cc0 license.
Do I have to use Public Domain art/music? - No, but I'm going to add a list of PD resource libraries to the jam page to help anyone who wants to do that.

The big takeaway from talking with some people who deal with legal issues in games: DON'T make your stuff based on modern interpretations of the original PD work - don't make it based on the charcters of the BBC or American Sherlocks, or off the Disney versions of PD stories. THAT stuff ISN'T Public Domain, and IS copyright infringement.

I would hope nobody would be so rude as to demand something like that. I'm pretty sure nobody on these forums would.

From "Osama's Dog"

Ugh. Is there anything quite so obnoxious as "reviewers" that try to analyze vidya in terms of feminism or whatever social justice is flavor of the month

Oh, it's YOU again. Welcome back.

Could we not get derailed again by this obvious trolling?

Being obnoxious in a new episode thread feels like playing with fire. This thread is going to be pretty weird when that guy's post is deleted.

Anyway, if there is a new Thumb I feel like we might need to arrange an appropriate portrait.

Oh - because I was goofing around with codes and stuff for a previous jam game, I had an anagram generator in my bookmarks, so I put it some thumbs. Some of them seemed cool:

CHRIS REMO
Sir Chrome (he IS a robot, I knew it!) / Scorer, Him

STEVE GAYNOR
Avengers Toy / Vegan Oyster / Sent Voyager / Vent Yo' Gears

NICK BRECKON
Brick No Neck

JAKE RODKIN
A Kind Joker

SEAN VANAMAN
Mean Savanna

DANIELLE RIENDEAU
I Elude Adrenaline

nice surprise to see this posted as i sat down for the night.  one of the few shows i listen to regularly where an extra long ep isnt annoying in the least.  great work and lots of laughs.  

and i also love local politics...but even on the lower level i happen to really enjoy city hall meetings for permit and local ordinances.  in my line of work i have to pull a lot of permits for signs and end up staying through the whole meeting to learn about different municipalities and what they are trying to pass or not pass in most cases.

also, sheds light on the average persons in the community who are completely clueless, in addition to not having any notable debate or public speaking skills.  im not the most articulate guy around...but i think i could organize my thoughts when arguing for a new stop sign on a residential thoroughfare

A 2 hour episode is great; It gives me a reason to do nothing productive for an even greater amount of time.

I think both "problematic" and "Thanks Obama" are dead to language after this episode. I also enjoyed the irony of lambasting of referential humor and using pop culture language, followed by the many thanks for Obama.

I think both "problematic" and "Thanks Obama" are dead to language after this episode. 

Wow, you're so problematic! Thanks Obama!  :earl:

Also:

CHRIS REMO

Sir Chrome (he IS a robot, I knew it!) / Scorer, Him

STEVE GAYNOR

Avengers Toy / Vegan Oyster / Sent Voyager / Vent Yo' Gears

NICK BRECKON

Brick No Neck

JAKE RODKIN

A Kind Joker

SEAN VANAMAN

Mean Savanna

DANIELLE RIENDEAU

I Elude Adrenaline

All of the results seem to perfectly represent the actual people. "A Kind Joker" had me rolling.

I think both "problematic" and "Thanks Obama" are dead to language after this episode.

Also "On point".. It may be common in America, but the Polygon guys and now Idle Thumbs are the only places I hear this expression in my life.

Wow, you're so problematic! Thanks Obama!  :earl:

You may not be dead to language, but you are dead to me.

>:c

I believe I tracked down the AFP article referenced in this episode (at around 00:24:00):
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/firewatch-announced-walking-dead-vets-152227882.html

The article was written by a journalist from AFP/RELAXNEWS, "the first newswire dedicated to leisure and lifestyle."

It's weird to see the detached, journalistic style applied to video games so well. If only more enthusiast press was this well written.

I went through the trouble of recovering my password to say you're a real jerk and I hope your voice and negativity is disregarded by everyone who isn't a big old jerk like you.

This is a great episode! Glad to have Danielle back.

Double whammy for you: "Shit just got real." Bad referential humor + dead to language. I move to strike it from the lexicon. All in favor?