Sign in to follow this  
Sno

Remember Chromehounds?

This guy sure does.

So this is a little late, since the Kickstarter for M.A.V. successfully concluded just a day ago, in addition to being successfully greenlit for Steam, but regardless, i think it looks pretty exciting.

The game is definitely heavily influenced by Chromehounds, so you can probably expect incredibly intricate and freeform mech-building, very complicated damage models, and methodical action with an emphasis on teamwork. There will also be an emphasis on a faction-based metagame, like in Chromehounds, but people will be able to run their own metagames on their own servers. (Apparently even as single-player games against AI, should they wish.) The core gameplay seems to lack the communication gimmicks of Chromehounds, which is understandable, since they really just aren't enforceable in today's gaming environments. The mech lab also seems like it'll do some clever things to prevent a lot of the more broken and exploitative builds that showed up late in Chromehound's lifespan. It will also not be F2P, unlike other recent mech games in the PC space. (The developer has articulated a dislike for the F2P model.)

I always felt like Chromehounds tried to do so many interesting things, it was always troubling that From seemed to have no interest in revisiting it, and it was even more troubling when the game shut down in 2010. (After running for four years.) Frankly, i'm glad to see somebody drawing influence from it and trying to build on what it did.

Man, I forgot to back this.

But 30k? That seems low to effectively make a game like this.

According to the KS, he's been at it for 2 years and has a playable alpha that people are already using, so that's a chunk further ahead than a lot of projects. 

Ah yes, I just read a bit further. He mentions in a couple of spots having a Paypal option for late backers, I suppose Greenlight is going to kinda fill that gap now.

Well this already got accepted, so I imagine it would still be available on Early Access even if Greenlight were to close tomorrow.